RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of Mert & Marcus

Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Re: Demystification of Mert & Marcus

They're shooting with kinoflos in that video, fwiw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
Interesting...I'm not sure what to make of this...The 'original' certainly looks un-retouched, but color toned. I wonder if this was a final or a leaked 'rough' copy. The second 'retouched' version looks like it was made from the 'original', but the color looks over saturated.

thanks for the post...
Wow, I am not sure how this got out. The first photo is either some interim version or these guys are lighting wizards (which is probably true).

The final version looks like a film conversion - saturated colors, contrasty film curve, grain, magenta/blue in the shadows and cream in the highlights. It is not super hard to do.

-sehmuzb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM

it seems like there are plenty of articles on other subjects and people via Industrie Magazine blog, but none on the cover story (Mert and Marcus)...Does anyone have a link to this article? None of the mag stores in my area carry it...thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
it seems like there are plenty of articles on other subjects and people via Industrie Magazine blog, but none on the cover story (Mert and Marcus)...Does anyone have a link to this article? None of the mag stores in my area carry it...thanks
here you go,

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...25&postcount=8
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...33&postcount=9
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 AM

I got to know of this forum through googling how to get the MM technique, being in fashion and photography i get to see alot of their work and still dont know how they do that colour separatin technique
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM

They probably processed it out at a cooler than average white balance for that skintone. It's not at all impossible to get that look from digital. The lips, belt, background elements, etc. were masked and adjusted separately. There are plenty of ways to do this. If you look at the insanely heavy shadows right beneath her, they point to the background being brought down significantly. I'm just mentioning all of this to give you guys an idea of where to start and what elements are heavily altered individually. I'm referring specifically to the set linked by the OP.

Edit: skin also isn't that high in contrast overall. If you get the white balance and exposure just right it's not that hard to tune. Looks like very large lighting/possible minor adjustment on the skin highlights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
They probably processed it out at a cooler than average white balance for that skintone. It's not at all impossible to get that look from digital. The lips, belt, background elements, etc. were masked and adjusted separately. There are plenty of ways to do this. If you look at the insanely heavy shadows right beneath her, they point to the background being brought down significantly. I'm just mentioning all of this to give you guys an idea of where to start and what elements are heavily altered individually. I'm referring specifically to the set linked by the OP.

Edit: skin also isn't that high in contrast overall. If you get the white balance and exposure just right it's not that hard to tune. Looks like very large lighting/possible minor adjustment on the skin highlights.
Thanks for this...I think you're right about all the individual masking and such...I think the trick comes after years of experience, gauging a balance between the juxtaposition of colors and contrast. Obviously experience and personal aesthetic counts for something!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 PM

I worked with them for a few years..... Nice guys, but they really are not of this world!
I trained one of their top retouchers too!

The main thing on all their jobs is....... Time.... No quick shortcuts there guys.

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
I worked with them for a few years..... Nice guys, but they really are not of this world!
I trained one of their top retouchers too!

The main thing on all their jobs is....... Time.... No quick shortcuts there guys.

Jeff
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, Jeff. It's nice to find somebody who has actually worked for / with them before. I'm very interested in any resources that you might feel could be worth reading / watching with regards to their retouching technique.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Here is a screen grab from my website. This was shot by them for Ghost. And I done all the retouching... Had to draw up the subtle background!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6/a252bfed.jpg

Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 07-21-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching