RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of Mert & Marcus

Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM

Re: Demystification of Mert & Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo958 View Post
It hepls, thanks!
I spent few hours trying to replicate the colours.
With my retouch: http://savepic.ru/3986971.jpg
P.S: The resolution of the original photo is too small, to show the details(

Last edited by YuliaSp; 10-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
Interesting...What was the 'film' giveaway? I've seen them shoot before and they use medium format but am pretty sure they've got the digi-backs.

I know the light source appears to be just one strobe with a reflector, grid, and maybe a thinly-opaque gel...Certainly contributes to the 'punch' of the image. The colors in 90% of their shots just pop...could be that comes from favoring hard light over soft, but even so...I need to know the details...I'll wait patiently, but won't hold my breath for answers.

Still waiting for absolute technicalities re: post-technique...Getting close through experimentation...

You are correct. THEY DO NOT USE FILM on any of their shoots. They shoot digital on everything. But they're also very secretive. They do not allow their subjects (even Madonna) to see any images before they have been adjusted then retouched on-set (obviously not fully retouched). They use Capture One and Phase One backs but not one seems to know what color profiles they use. I will keep digging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Oh FFS stop trying to copy others and get your own style......
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM

worth a look...

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-S...n=w45_software
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Oh FFS stop trying to copy others and get your own style......
Couldn't the same be said for almost every other thread on this site? We're curious about technical info, just like everyone else here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 PM

Here is one I retouched for them a while back....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...fcb463c208.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Here is one I retouched for them a while back....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...fcb463c208.jpg

Wow... I love what you did with texture and contrast...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
Interesting...I'm not sure what to make of this...The 'original' certainly looks un-retouched, but color toned. I wonder if this was a final or a leaked 'rough' copy. The second 'retouched' version looks like it was made from the 'original', but the color looks over saturated.

thanks for the post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo958 View Post

This is cool, while it would be self assuring to think the first is already a rough retouch, it does actually look like an image that could have come straight out of the capture program. They certainly know how to light and have the team and they are big on selective adjusting and it is cindy crawford. you can see they still did some body shaping and retouching on skin but the color and tone are the magic sauce.

I would be curious since there is a good before and after here if anyone knows how to get from a to b on this well or can point to any good tutorials that illustrate it.

Most information on fashion retouching has a loose interpretation of "fashion" and shows you how to make images that really, just don't look very good, that is to say they would take the first image and show you how to retouch it in a way that wouldn't be as nice or even just end at where that first image starts and not show you that finishing step that gives this image its look. Wether you like this style or not Im not so concerned with, thats a personal preference and I do understand that that is the art but I also think its sort of a common high end fashion retouch "end look" As a study the toning and final "softness" to the skin tone and face helps digital feel like film and is in the same style as fashion photography has been for a long time.

It would be great to get examples rather than a quick answer "dodge and burn and selective toning," as thats kind of understood.

I would just love to see an example of doing these properly in terms of an image like this. As I said just have never seen a good way to go from a to b on something like this that leads to a good result and Its not so much to look like them but I think it would be a step that would very much help to understand for an aspect of my own work I haven't been happy with for some time.

any information that could point the right direction.

appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehmuzb View Post
Wow, I am not sure how this got out. The first photo is either some interim version or these guys are lighting wizards (which is probably true).

The final version looks like a film conversion - saturated colors, contrasty film curve, grain, magenta/blue in the shadows and cream in the highlights. It is not super hard to do.

-sehmuzb
would you mind illustrating how to get from a to b with these. In theory its not hard to do, but I'm finding it hard to do actually. If its not hard for you Id appreciate the tutelage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 AM

I decided to mess with the two images myself and see what I could do with it.
sorry about the image size, limit for this forum is 100kb.

I don't know what they actually do but this is what I did to try and get to the final image and there's probably a better way. Hard to tell when you're doing it from low res jpgs but it was cool to try out.

my first approach I was messing with the channel mixer and a technicolor look to get the image to a teal/pink tone but I abandoned that and ended up with these steps

image1_ the images side by side (made quick body adjustments not really worrying too much about it, they didn't even do much which is nice to see.

Image2_ the first thing I did after some very quick/minimal skin clean up was copy the green channel and paste it on top of the image and set to overlay to add contrast in shadows. I then blurred that overlay to soften the overall image ( sometimes I really don't like the way this looks and am not big on blurring images but seems to work here) . with most of these steps the thing you want to keep in mind is to not lose the natural skin texture.

Image3_ I added a vibrance layer and cranked up vibrance and saturation so I could see better adjustments made in a color balance adjustment layer. Couldn't get the color in one adjustment and since the image already starts green from the way it was shot it seems like you could. I tried with curves but ended up with something similar anyway to this which brought in more cyan/magenta shadows, but made the midtones quite yellow/orange.

shadows pushed +5 red _11 to magenta -12 into yellow
midtones +12 r +25 g +14b
Highlights -25 to cyan -30 to magenta -30 to yellow

Image4_ in order to get rid of the yellow skin tone and give the image a more desaturated appearance I added a black and white adjustment layer set to lighten and brought down all the sliders except yellow to filter it out and a bit of red being careful not to take too much red out of the face and lips

Image5_ colors still weren't quite where I wanted them so I added a selective color layer to tweak the colors more and add more contrast/ contouring. I noticed here in one of the adjustments here I did something that blows out a shin highlight a bit and Id fix that before financing but you want to avoid that obviously.

Image6_ I added this step just in case you haven't encountered something like this before but Im sure most of you have. It could have been just because it was a crap jpg file but even after the desaturating and selective color there were areas of more saturated yellowish colors behind her on the pillows and bed. I just added layer set to color, sampled the color I wanted form nearby and then painted over to get rid of them as they were distracting me, even if it was only a small test.

Image7 _ did do a small bit of dodge and burn but interesting to see that after Id done all the other steps They didn't seem to do much to her face. they always do a beautiful job of this and Id spend more time on it than I did here. people tend to call their look plastic but they really have good makeup and lighting and I think its mostly because of the vibrant colors they use that it seems otherworldly or fake, but you'll notice they keep a lot of natural skin detail but do like to go for a more high fashion look than true portrait. I added a bit of grain, again this step is hard to see well and its on a crappy jpg to begin with so I just used the film grain filter on a 50% gray layer on overly and toned it down a bit.. I also didn't bother to do any retouching on the body suit and chest like they did.

the end I think the color is still more pinkish / blue than the ad and theres just going to be more information to work with from even a tiff so I didn't worry too much about some things Id still try and mess with, but some possible steps to play with or consider. who knows, with the raw it might even be possible to get the right skin tone from lightroom without layering up all these damn layers but it is part of what they're known for to have a look that isn't easy to do without a lot of layering and sometimes quite a bit of masking. seems to be working out for them anyway.

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test1.jpg (98.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg _Screen-Shot-test2.jpg (94.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test3.jpg (94.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test4.jpg (95.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test5.jpg (94.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test6.jpg (93.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-test7.jpg (98.5 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching