RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of Mert & Marcus

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Demystification of Mert & Marcus

Hi everyone,

I've been searching the Internet for a year or two, trying to find some information on the post production techniques of the white-hot fashion photo duo, Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott. Seems all I find is a New Yorker article from 2004 and a few speculations from other fans.

Does anyone here have some technical information (beyond having great models, gear, and an A-1 team) that could help me achieve their bright, plastic, punchy-colored look? Anyone on here worked on their images before?

http://fashiongonerogue.com/gisele-b...us/#more-48072

Last edited by jbedford; 04-06-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: adding an example...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Re: Demystification of Mert & Marcus

i too have been searching. does anyone have a clue?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Looks more like good photography and lighting than retouching...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 PM

I would agree. I looks like it's shot on film with hard light in a style that creates high contrast and saturation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM

I agree with you guys. Looks like film and if that is the case, it could be mostly if not all a chemical process. I really like the blues in the shadows. Makes killer separation between the model and the wall behind her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
I would agree. I looks like it's shot on film with hard light in a style that creates high contrast and saturation.
Interesting...What was the 'film' giveaway? I've seen them shoot before and they use medium format but am pretty sure they've got the digi-backs.

I know the light source appears to be just one strobe with a reflector, grid, and maybe a thinly-opaque gel...Certainly contributes to the 'punch' of the image. The colors in 90% of their shots just pop...could be that comes from favoring hard light over soft, but even so...I need to know the details...I'll wait patiently, but won't hold my breath for answers.

Still waiting for absolute technicalities re: post-technique...Getting close through experimentation...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Patron

IMO, there is definitely a lot of post processing. Highlights typically do not fall on the subject in the patterns shown and I would bet there is a lot of manual dodging. The images, especially in the shadows, appear to have undergone some split toning as the colors and distribution of them appear very representative of split toning.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM

thanks all...still no real info on absolute post techniques for skin tone and color popping (etc...) but heres hoping...

@mrmonday - I see that split toning too...I achieve this well either with camera raw or via selective color in PS. thanks

Another example of their 'look'
http://www.lelook.eu/post-lfxb_razzmatazz-346-547.html

Last edited by jbedford; 04-11-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Cause I felt like it, ok!? ;)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 PM

The style is redolent of Uwe Ommer although I'm not sure he would have overworked the skin to make a beautiful girl look like a store window dummy. Whether film or digital who can tell - if you know what you're doing as a photographer you can make digital look like film and film look like digital (although film no longer has the resolution that high-end digital does). But the previous posters have it right - hard light (takes a particular type of face to take that kind of raw light), probably a focusing spot. On second thoughts, I think film is being used, judging by the colour shift in the shadows, but could be done intentionally in post.

Personally I don't like this at all. It's unthinking photography and doesn't require a great deal of photographic skill. But then, that's pretty true of many of the 'hot' young talents in photography today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 AM

here's the behind the scene of the shoot:

http://youtu.be/7AgzbSGn3yc
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching