RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Technique on Prada adverts

Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Re: Technique on Prada adverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_a View Post
... but worth knowing the route to take, as i may need part or all of it at some point in work career

Chris
Agreed. I think this may look might be good for some more manly/dirty things - oilrig workers, cowboys, sports etc. Just a thought.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM

in my opinion that looks like garbage. like some amateur took the shadow and highlight and got a boner, and then as if that wasnt enough, they took a high pass filter layer, left on normal, and reduced the opacity. Love the halos around every edge! and the color shifts from overcranking the processing.... well, only two types of people have the skills to achieve such divinity, a colorblind 7 year old or a total noob just learning photoshop. I could imagine how the pitch went "hey how can we take this decent shot and ruin it?" Brilliant! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM

@garibaldi: You have one amazing Port. You look at things differently. You connect nicely with your subjects matter. I am glad that the Ferrari engine blew up!

Looks like Prada wanted that "futuristic" look, took whatever Steven Meisel did, send it out to some retoucher and that is what they ended up with.

I am not surprised, this is what you get when your art director is a 22 year old who has no clue about art! Happens all the time, everywhere unfortunately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Thank you for the kind words aladdin! ;-) yea, it seems kind of sloppy for a prada campaign, I mean, you expect these big names to often do some odd looking stuff, but that treatment is kind of atrocious from a retouching standpoint. Id be pissed if I did a shoot and handed off files to a client and they sent them to their retouching dept and thats what they came up with. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM

I think that shoot would have looked good straight out of camera, before someone got all heavy handed with the HDR imitation. check the spot lighting through the perspex floor and from above. they would have looked like mannequins in a shop window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
Thank you for the kind words aladdin! ;-) yea, it seems kind of sloppy for a prada campaign, I mean, you expect these big names to often do some odd looking stuff, but that treatment is kind of atrocious from a retouching standpoint. Id be pissed if I did a shoot and handed off files to a client and they sent them to their retouching dept and thats what they came up with. lol
Yeah, it's pretty shocking how bad that looks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2011, 12:57 PM

I couldn't agree more with Garibaldi: looks like someone just discovered the shadow -highlight adjustment
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 AM

you were spot on about shop window/manequins he shoots like that all the time:http://www.productionparadise.com/ne...ven_Meisel.jpg Maybe it was supposed to be shot through glass, he ruined it and tried to make up for it with 'unusual' retouching? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Ick I definitely don't like it ..but yes it looks like what happens when you go overboard with HDR software...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching