RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Difference layer mask

Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Re: Difference layer mask

Nice little link related to using the difference between two layers/images as a mask; could just use a couple of example images.

The link refers to what I have encountered as difference keying in video. To summarize you take two almost identical photographs (or video sequences) – one with the object, and one without – and use the difference as a mask (or at least a starting point).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM

john, thanks for the blurb but i didnt quite follow it, sorry i find it quite hard to read instructions and get whats going on. im better at watching instructions or doing then... ive always learned better that way. bottom line, as long as you get the mask/selection you want...EHHH! everyone wins. especially you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Talking Re: Difference layer mask

1. I've read the whole theme, so please don't make me read it again.

2. What has been discussed is mostly product photography, landscapes and background clean up-s.

What I intend to do is USING A DIFFERENCE BLENDING MODE on a MERGED LAYER of all the healing for example (merging the split and the separate healing into one layer) to MAKE a MASK of all the differences in order to achieve a simple on/off effect as if that the split wasn't there in the first place.

This kind of masking would only be effective if done with high level of precision and would HELP LOWER THE SIZE OF THE IMAGE FILE CONSIDERABLY especially if you are using multiple splits and split-related layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM

skoobey, i dont think this is the type of difference they were refering to, but if it works for you, keep on trucking.

does skoobey refer to skoobey do? or do you own a subaru?.... that wasnt meant to rhyme, its a serious question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 AM

OK, HERE GOES.

Save the file as a backup in case something goes wrong.
Merge all the layers you wish to be affected by mask.
Set merged layer at difference blending mode.
Reset your swatches by pressing D.
Select>Color range at 0 Fuzziness.
Click the mask icon holding the Alt/Option key.
Set the layer blending mode back to normal.
Now you right-click the mask icon and chose Apply mask if you wish to apply the mask, or alt+click on the mask to see the differences between the layers more clearly.

P.S. It is what it is, lol, my nickname has no particular meaning.

Also, I think I explained it rather well here, even if you dont apply the mask, it sure is easier to NOTICE things on a MASK itself rather then searching through a dark and gloomy difference mode.

+ You don't have to merge anything, but grouping those layers instead and then seting the groups blending mode to Difference, and then doing everything as I told you. I mean, experiment with it, THIS IS JUST A PRINCIPLE TO GET A MASK OUT of a DIFFERENCE MODE.

Last edited by skoobey; 01-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching