RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Achieving film/grain look using a DSLR

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 AM

Achieving film/grain look using a DSLR

I have yet to figure out how to get this type of film/washed out look from a digital photo. I've tried plugins like Alien Skin Exposure and Color Efex Pro but can't quite get it to look like this. It doesn't seem to be as simple as just adding noise and film grain using PS.

I often see this type of images in an editorials and I'd love to figure it out!

http://fashiongonerogue.com/edita-vi...e-spring-2011/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM

Re: Achieving film/grain look using a DSLR

In this case (your link) a texture overlay was used with a grainy feel was used. You simply put a textured file on top of your image in softlight, overlay or hardlight blending mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 AM

I assume that you mean you see this effect in a lot of the editorials you see online? As opposed to in print?

I could be wrong, but a lot of the material on fashiongonerogue (a lot of the fashion blogs really) seems to be scanned from print, so that might add to that difficult-to-replicate texture you're seeing.

So you could go to a ridiculous length, do all your cleaning and colouring and graining etc in PS, litho print the thing and then scan it with a mediocre scanner. You'll get a similar effect.

Quite fun, really. Digital to hard copy and back again for a more "real" analogue feel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM

alternatively you can scan a neutral gray piece of paper, throw it into photoshop as a layer and then use a blend mode, maybe add contrace only to the noise layer. or use the highest ISO you possibly can haha, it gives the same ugly banded digital noise.

or under expose a lot and push it in PS or Lightroom, many answers to your questions, good luck, post some examples!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_k View Post
I assume that you mean you see this effect in a lot of the editorials you see online? As opposed to in print?

I could be wrong, but a lot of the material on fashiongonerogue (a lot of the fashion blogs really) seems to be scanned from print, so that might add to that difficult-to-replicate texture you're seeing.

So you could go to a ridiculous length, do all your cleaning and colouring and graining etc in PS, litho print the thing and then scan it with a mediocre scanner. You'll get a similar effect.

Quite fun, really. Digital to hard copy and back again for a more "real" analogue feel.
Never thought of it this way! Humm.....good idea....one moment, I will be BACK....!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HT- View Post
I have yet to figure out how to get this type of film/washed out look from a digital photo. I've tried plugins like Alien Skin Exposure and Color Efex Pro but can't quite get it to look like this. It doesn't seem to be as simple as just adding noise and film grain using PS.

I often see this type of images in an editorials and I'd love to figure it out!

http://fashiongonerogue.com/edita-vi...e-spring-2011/

If you need filmgrain on a dslr image, just use real film and a good scanner. (use the first part of the film that has no image but only the grain)
just put your scan on overlay and voila....
Better...if you need filmgrain, just shoot on film and don't use a dslr :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Or get a film camera out one more time, and just shoot a grey (128/128/128) board with different types of film. Scan those in and voila, you now have a library of film grains.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching