RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

whats going on here? how?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Re: whats going on here? how?

Do you mean something like this ?
Large version here

If this matches what you want, tell me and I ll give you the work-flow .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-s.jpg (76.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by vasiliskons; 04-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 04:53 PM

nope sorry.. that's not it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
OK, I spent few quick minutes just to illustrate the idea, same link http://home.comcast.net/~ai007/retouch/test-effect.jpg

I did some burn, it is more obvious on the lower part of her face. If I will start all over again, I will smooth the skin even further and clean up the added "noise" you see by the lips.

Godmother will be so mad at my lousy D&B job - specially that I have her DVD. Sorry Godmother!
when I enlarged this I see blurring and added noise
I never blur nor add noise.. I retouch on pixel level only
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimiepeeters View Post
when I enlarged this I see blurring and added noise
I never blur nor add noise.. I retouch on pixel level only
I did not do real clean up as I mentioned before.

This type of retouch, is not high end in the sense that you are not doing Vogue style editing, you are creating specific look/style. to achieve this painterly look, you really have to smooth out the skin a lot. but then, you would kill the pores. to recreate the pores, you need to add a bit of "noise" -I did a lot- then, blur this noise, you end up with what looks like real skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
to recreate the pores, you need to add a bit of "noise" -I did a lot- then, blur this noise, you end up with what looks like real skin.
This never looks good to me at all always looks pretty fake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM

So I dont have time to do perfect skin on this, but with that, it's mostly evening out the shadows and highlights and giving it all an even tone....

Try desaturating it, then putting some color back in with a gradient map. Also try a Hue/Sat on soft light, and experimen. Then do some DnB to make a more painterly shape to the face. Then you blend the BG color with the face color.

The trick with these things is not 1 step. It's a combo of LOADS of things, but most importantly do not try and mess with the actual texture of the skin. Even it out with some DnB, healing whatever, but do not blur it. It will get you nowhere quickly. Also the lighting on the face is painterly, that doesn't mean this needs to have a canvas texture added. Also adding noise to simulate texture in the skin???? Why not just use what was there already.

Not much time to do this, so here's just a lo-res, but it's getting in the right direction. Not there yet, a lot more color balancing and a lot of DnB to get the skin right.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test_maybex.jpg (80.9 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post

Not much time to do this, so here's just a lo-res, but it's getting in the right direction. Not there yet, a lot more color balancing and a lot of DnB to get the skin right.

Good luck.
YEAH! you're the first and only to get close to the actual concept.
I hear ya on the evening out the highs and lows.. not sure what you mean with blend the background color with the facecolor.. you mean the wall color?

The one thing I noticed is that in those pictures there's never any black.. only dark tones of whats already there, and indeed more evened out.

Makes sense.

and trust me, I never use noise nor blur to ?create? texture. I only use whats there, copy and duplicate from another part of the skin to give something texture if needed.

I am curious to see though if you could fully retouch this image and show it to me in high res. Just to see the real end result of your techniques, which are actually almost exactly like mine although I never:

Try desaturating it, then putting some color back in with a gradient map. Also try a Hue/Sat on soft light, and experimen. Then do some DnB to make a more painterly shape to the face. Then you blend the BG color with the face color.

maybe you could elaborate on that too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM

I've used a combination of Pro Photoshop Actions to get the look you want:

Black Coffee- for the brown tone

Glamour Retouch- for the realistic smooth skin

Dodge & Burn- Slight painting of highlights

PD Sharpen- Sharpens like a painting

regards,
Sid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (83.0 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 AM

sharpens like a painting? interesting to find out what thats all about
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimiepeeters View Post
The one thing I noticed is that in those pictures there's never any black.. only dark tones of whats already there, and indeed more evened out.
I am curious to see though if you could fully retouch this image and show it to me in high res. Just to see the real end result of your techniques, which are actually almost exactly like mine although I never:

maybe you could elaborate on that too.

Thanks!
You're right the blacks are never completely black, which is why your picture isn't a great starting point, as it's very contrasty.

I'm afraid I don't have 10 hours right now to do a hi-res retouch, which I would need the RAW file for as well. I'm a little busy as it is You can give me the RAW and I can do it over the next little while, an hour here and there as time permits.

What I meant is, add a Hue/Sat adjustment layer, put it on soft light blending mode (try desat 100/light +50) and adjust the opacity. Experiment with it. I'm not sure I can elaborate on that, as it really is what I meant :P

Also desaturating the image should be quite clear.... then just add a Gradient map on color or overlay or something (again experimentation is key) and for the colors use some nice skin tones you want to see. For everything it's adjusting the opacity as well.

DnB if you don't know what that is, search the internet for dodging and burning or painting with light. Or search this board, plenty of info there.

And mostly in those images there's an overarching tone, something that ties it all together, so when I say blend the color of the face with the BG, I mean find a tone that ties it all together.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching