RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Another How Do You Do That?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Re: Another How Do You Do That?

Okay, i guess i get it, the guy uses both highlight and shadows luminosity masks, with at least two grades of strength (via contrast of mask) on each. But i still can't be sure of what he means at "Difference mask". Is it the midtone luminosity mask? It seems like it, but then why it is the "difference" mask? Maybe it something going from the difference blending mode with combining with luminosity masks? Too bad we can't see the links =(
Ah, by the way, an interesting move with adding one of the luminosity masks on the dnb softlight/overlay layers. I like it, gonna try someday
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

From Mr Randall I give you his concept of a difference mask both he and Katrin Eismann use the term for sure lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Leimbach
D+ I just learned how to make a mask, thanks to Bob Randall.

Seriously Bob, I have really benefited from your tips. (I am still parsing out what you said recently about difference masks and trying to get it to work in Photoshop CS.)
A difference mask is exactly that; the difference between two sources. You know that PS uses pretty simple math to make its default gray scale conversion. I believe its a combination of 40% red channel and 60% green channel. So when you get that gray scale and you think its flat, you shake your head and say WTF, I thought PS could do a better job. Well, if you made a difference mask that gave you the results of the difference between the red and green channel, you could use that mask on a curve to affect a contrast change that would make your conversion sing.

Calculations...

Source 1 is the red channel

Source 2 is the green channel

mode is difference

Create a new channel

load/select the new channel

ask for a curve in the layers pallet, it will automatically put the mask on the curve.

adjust the difference to suit your taste.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ence-mask.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =)JC View Post
Okay, i guess i get it, the guy uses both highlight and shadows luminosity masks, with at least two grades of strength (via contrast of mask) on each. But i still can't be sure of what he means at "Difference mask". Is it the midtone luminosity mask? It seems like it, but then why it is the "difference" mask? Maybe it something going from the difference blending mode with combining with luminosity masks? Too bad we can't see the links =(
Ah, by the way, an interesting move with adding one of the luminosity masks on the dnb softlight/overlay layers. I like it, gonna try someday
JC, you are correct on your observation... Difference mask is what some people call it, although there is no such thing within Photoshop. So it is exactly what you said: "Is it the midtone luminosity mask? It seems like it, Maybe it something going from the difference blending mode with combining with luminosity masks? ".
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

I've read all of the the above and still have no idea how the retoucher on the lookit.be website creates those masks that he uses for sharpening.

anyone care to share how he's getting those masks? they look way too accurate to be hand drawn/selected. so he must be using a more efficient method...maybe combing several luminosity masks?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM

So many ways to generate masks automatically in ps it isnt funny especially combinations of masks. Many use calculations for this very purpose it is one of the most powerful under used tools in ps for sure.

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...askToolkit.htm

http://www.cookseytalbottgallery.com...ecordNumber=38

I use these as starter points then u can play forever and a day with calculations learn that baby and the sky is the limit...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroj82 View Post
I've read all of the the above and still have no idea how the retoucher on the lookit.be website creates those masks that he uses for sharpening.

anyone care to share how he's getting those masks? they look way too accurate to be hand drawn/selected. so he must be using a more efficient method...maybe combing several luminosity masks?

Check out the LCE video on page three of his tutorials.

BTW, this is not the same "difference" mask Robert Randall spoke of.

Last edited by Flashtones; 04-27-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM

http://www.lookit.be/ man they do have some great tutorials even one on calculations pretty sweet I seen it before I just started watching them again lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM

The highlight and shadow "luminosity masks" are made by using the RGB image itself as the mask source, or one of its channels, and using "load channel as selection". The resulting greyscale mask will approach white for anything above 50% gray, and approach black for anything below 50% gray. That can be your highlight mask. To make the shadow mask, just invert it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Check out the LCE video on page three of his tutorials.

BTW, this is not the same "difference" mask Robert Randall spoke of.
good deal...I didn't know there was a page 2 or three of the tutorials.

still, he doesn't explain how you get the shadows mask. I get the highlight mask. I tried inverting it and then adding it via apply image to the bg copy, but didn't have any luck.

are the edge masks he shows in the page one contrast tutorial made from the highlight and shadow local contrast adjustments?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroj82 View Post
good deal...I didn't know there was a page 2 or three of the tutorials.

still, he doesn't explain how you get the shadows mask. I get the highlight mask. I tried inverting it and then adding it via apply image to the bg copy, but didn't have any luck.

are the edge masks he shows in the page one contrast tutorial made from the highlight and shadow local contrast adjustments?
Try this: Duplicate background, desaturate, run Filter -> Stylize -> Find Edges, blur a tiny bit for softer transition and invert
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching