RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Some Images to mess about with!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Re: Some Images to mess about with!

I mainly used the healing brush on my skin, as that way I get it "cleaned up" without reducing the texture. Then I did a frequency separation with a 50% opacity band stop (blurred) layer inbetween with a mask on it to remove some "blotchyness". Some other minor adjustments as well (painting in some even color and stuff).
Sharpening it all when I'm done makes sure it is quite visible as well.

How did you fix up the skin on yours?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM

Healing brush and patch tool to start with surface blur to help with the blotchyness and then a high pass overlay of the original to try and bring back texture. I haven't tried frequency separation before. It's photoshop? Been working in photoshop a few years on various different things and never heard of it until coming to this site.

So I just watched some videos talking about frequency separation and OMG! I so wish I had known about this sooner lol. I can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by SierraBella; 06-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Your High Pass overlay for bringing back skin texture on a separate layer is actually very close to the frequency separation technique (but less accurate).

Frequency separation basically turns your image into two layers. At the bottom is a layer containing the low frequency details (basically a blurred version of the image), and above that is a layer that contains the high frequency details (the "difference" between the blurred layer and the original). Blended together they should be identical to the original (or a VERY close match at least).

This allows you to edit the two components separately. You can clone/heal fine details like pores without affecting the general shades in an area, or the other way around. You can also decide to blur away medium size details afterwards on the underlying layer (perhaps on a duplicate layer not on full opacity, and with a mask). This can be called "Band Stop" as it removes a bad of frequencies.

You do not have to use Gaussian Blur (although this is the most common). You could use Surface Blur, Dust & Scratches, or other filters as a base for the separation.

Attached are my actions that automate the separation (for 16 bit images only, I will have to home to find up my 8-bit version), and some images illustrating a "band stop" (further blurring of the low frequency info).
Attached Images
File Type: png band stop.png (13.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg before.jpg (13.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (12.9 KB, 115 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frequency Separations (16 bit).atn.zip (5.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM

If you want to go to the trouble to create an accurate skin mask you can use Lens Blur and avoid dark regions bleeding into your skin. Takes longer and the numbers for Lens Blur are not immediately analogous to Gaussian blur but it can make the final result a lot cleaner. I'll still smooth out the transitions with a mask but you can place the blur region much closer to hair, lips and background than with a less targeted blur.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Your High Pass overlay for bringing back skin texture on a separate layer is actually very close to the frequency separation technique (but less accurate).
Lol that's exactly what I thought when I started watching the videos! I have had a chance now to try frequency separation and I am loving it. I very often end up with images that are very fake looking and having to go back with the original this is great though! I don't know why i had never thought about actually working my blurred layers or my highpass layers.

I have tried band stopping also since my last post I'm loving it! I use to use gaussian blur for everything but lean more often toward surface blue now. lol Now I want to go back and retouch all my old photos.

@edgework I had never thought about using lens blur and will deff give it a shot sounds like it could help a great deal in certain areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Good idea edgework. I just wish Photoshop would make a faster Lens Blur filter (I've seen much more flexible lens blur filters that are almost instant).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

My try on one of the pictures.

Good work everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girl-web.jpg (96.7 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

And don't forget that frequency separation is just as effective at sharpening, though you'd want to use a much lower blur radius. Just turn off the low-frequency (blurred) layer and your original will become much crisper. I always start out with a 1 - 2 pixel radius on a decent sized shot (say, 9 x 12 at 300) and it brings out information that you wouldn't have believed was there. Nice remedy for the kind of softness lots of digital shots seem to have. They're not quite blurred or out of focus... just soft.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
And don't forget that frequency separation is just as effective at sharpening
Yep, it's my main sharpening method. It's the exact "opposite" of Gaussian Blur.
Attached are my sharpening actions... Might save you the trouble of making your own...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sharpening.zip (2.8 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM

<hijack>

But don't forget, that solely turning off the visibility of the LOW layer will give you the results you'd get with USM set to 100% amount and the radius you used for your initial GBlur split.
The frequency separation sharpening will just be beneficial, if you're enhancing the contrast of the HIGH layer as well (which is not the same as adjusting the strength slider in USM) or use any filter but the GBlur to create the initial split.

</hijack>
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching