RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertising Retouching

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Advertising Retouching

I have some question's on the retouching that is one to advertising images, here are a couple of examples of images I am talking about. I realize that some of this work is CGI, but there are some retouched images.

http://www.createimaging.com/#/Our%20Work/Advertising/4
http://www.forbetterdreams.com/
http://www.glucone-r.com/
http://www.manipula.art.br/#/portfolio
http://www.pigliacampo.com/
http://herusuryoko.com/main.php

-Cheers, Matt
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Re: Advertising Retouching

This kind of style relies heavily on great compositing and masking. I started out apprenticing an advertising retoucher whose main focus was automotive. His background was in illustration, and a lot of the time he did exactly that. When there was no photographic element, he would illustrate it from scratch within photoshop. Amazing to watch.
CGI is a big component of many of the portfolios that you linked to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 AM

eraanexact, can you give an explanation, what is the CGI?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Not to be rude but most of those portfolio's (except maybe the first one) are not great. It's great that CGI can be used so widely nowadays, but there's issues with making it look good. Shadows, blending, masking, lighting.... it's all tough, but holy crap there's some terrible overprocessed fake looking things in there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 AM

These kind of things are pretty standard request by Art Directors with their visions in the real Graphic arts world. NO FILTER (EASY BUTTON) is going to work here!!!

They often do a rough version of what they are envisioning - just to get approval from there Creative Directors and the art goes out to a Retoucher for the high end real implementation.

This is just a lot of Photoshop tools (color correction, channels mixing, Pathing, clipping merging new and multiple backgrounds, etc.) and techniques, mixed with image merging and some basic image creation.

Pretty standard stuff - although some can get real involved to finalize.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

the garbage can one can be done pretty easily by using your warp tool, and LIQUIFY. It may not have even been in the original shot, but rather clipped from a nice clean studio shot of the original - placed on a layer and manipulated!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Okay thanks a lot guys, I knew it's not that one click button thing as nothing ever really is, but again thanks this has helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM

The cars are more than likely CGI. Car companies used to spend millions of dollars on a photo fleet of next year's models that would have to be produced months prior to the actual release of that particular model, so they'd have all sorts of defects, such as door gaps that were too wide, improperly fitted headlights, paint colors being incorrect, etc. It's way more cost effective to render the cars and add subtle details later.

Also, as far as advertising imagery goes, a lot of it tends to look "hyper-real" and kind of illustrated. And I think the reasoning behind that is most people are going to see that ad for all of a few seconds at most, whether it's flipping through a magazine or driving past it on a billboard, so it has to grab their attention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
The cars are more than likely CGI. Car companies used to spend millions of dollars on a photo fleet of next year's models that would have to be produced months prior to the actual release of that particular model, so they'd have all sorts of defects, such as door gaps that were too wide, improperly fitted headlights, paint colors being incorrect, etc. It's way more cost effective to render the cars and add subtle details later.

Also, as far as advertising imagery goes, a lot of it tends to look "hyper-real" and kind of illustrated. And I think the reasoning behind that is most people are going to see that ad for all of a few seconds at most, whether it's flipping through a magazine or driving past it on a billboard, so it has to grab their attention.
I couldn't agree more... after almost 30 years as an ad guy and retoucher, I can tell you that no-one is going to frame the finished piece in silver and hang it on their wall to look at forever. If they did, they would start to see all sorts of "not-so-right" things, along with areas that could have "maybe" been worked longer. BUT TIME IS MONEY!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching