RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Film grain

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Re: Film grain

Try Exposure 2 from Allien Skin. It simulates lots of different fim's grains. It also has a grain feature which is very realistic. I love it. It costs around $250.00 but in my opinion, it is well worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys. The grey card technique sounds quite interesting. Would love to try it if I owed a film camera :-( I may see however how much it costs to hire one to play around. Which film would you recommend for this?

As to the plugins. I'll have a good look at them as well. See whats works better.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 AM

In film there is more grain & big grain in dark scenes & less grain & more fine grain in medium bright scenes, & no grain in bright/over exposed scenes. Anyone can teach how to make this effect ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
In film there is more grain & big grain in dark scenes & less grain & more fine grain in medium bright scenes, & no grain in bright/over exposed scenes. Anyone can teach how to make this effect ?
It depends on what kind of film you're talking about. That's true for some types of film, such as XP2, which is C-41 process, but standard black and white film is just the opposite. Clear areas on the negative would print black with little or no grain, while denser areas would print light with much more grain. Alien Skin Exposure has sliders to control the amount of grain in the highlights, midtones, and shadows, but the grain itself is not all that realistic, but is passible if you don't look too closely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
Holgaman is correct different films will show a different granular pattern - remember you are not seeing actual silver halide grains (these are too small to see individually). Rather what you are seeing on the print neg or slide is the clumping of grain its pattern depends so much on film type and even developer type it is not always easy to simulate. Also grain from film size and final print size plays a role. For instance a 35mm B&W film say Tri -x enlarged to 20x16 will exhibit much more granularity than the same film but taken with a 5x4 camera. And a smaller print may reveal no grain structure at all even with close examination - this used to be considered by many photographers nirvana! Strange now that we have virtually grain free images we now want to put grain back!

The attached image is something I tried some time ago to see what I needed to do to make a B&W digital image look like a traditional B&W print. The actual image of the face was from a 35mm negative originally FP4 enlarged to approximately 12x9". My efforts on the right - not too sucessful, however with more 'play time' could be improved. The Add Noise was done with strangely enough the Add Noise filter the right side of this gaussian blur applied. The other strip done with the Texture filter set to Grain. You will have to play about quite a bit to get the size correct and also the degree of blurring. Additional problem is that you will also need to apply some method of lowering the opacity of the pattern, certainly in the highlight and possibly in the dark shadow areas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FP4Grain.jpg (97.7 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Additional problem is that you will also need to apply some method of lowering the opacity of the pattern, certainly in the highlight and possibly in the dark shadow areas
If your noise is on a separate layer, then this is an easy way:
1. Load RGB channel as selection (cmd/ctrl-click it).
2. Add mask.
3. Invert and Image>Adjustments>Curves on the mask as needed.

This will provide good control over how visible the noise is at different brightnesses (is that a word?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
.....This will provide good control over how visible the noise is at different brightnesses (is that a word?).
If it is not a word it should be . Good tip
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Here's a link to an already scanned in image of real film grain:

http://byscuits.com/grain-tm400.png

Not as good as doing it yourself, but good to give you an idea of the difference it makes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Attached is a 100% crop where I used the grain image with overlay blending, with a mask. The grain was scaled up 200% (yes, I should have blurred it a bit), and the below image was blurred a bit to match. It could easily be automated as an action.

The grain image had to be adjusted first so it could be blended without brightening/darkening the image. I did this by running my own sharpening action, but you can get a fine result just using High Pass on it (~7 px radius should be enough).

Edit:
I actually have a tutorial for adding noise/grain like this (in norwegian, but well illustrated so with some google translate you will do fine). In the tutorial I simply use the regular noise filter with some gaussian blur, add a brightness mask, and blend it. I keep the noise as a smart layer so the filters can be adjusted quite easily.
http://adobe.rognemedia.no/?pg=article&id=144

Related I also have an action for extracting noise from low frequency areas of an image, so it can be turned into a pattern and applied to other elements/images. It's at the bottom of this tutorial detailing it:
http://adobe.rognemedia.no/?pg=article&id=110
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (67.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (97.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Chain; 06-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
Here's a link to an already scanned in image of real film grain:

http://byscuits.com/grain-tm400.png

Not as good as doing it yourself, but good to give you an idea of the difference it makes.
That scan's workable, thanks. Tried googling for more, but it seem impossible to find.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching