RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

General Jewelry Retouching Help?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Re: General Jewelry Retouching Help?

Metal is getting better. Gaining some life. You have to play with your lighting to try what works best.

On my site there is a retouching Free Trial upload page. Take a few good photos of this ring and submit them. We'll retouch an image for you to see what can be done with your photos.

Here is the free trial page link:
http://www.jetretouch.com/photo-edit-free-trial

But take a few good shuts first
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Hi,

I am going to be doing an engagement ring shoot and am curious how you mounted the rings to stand up without having something show in the photo. Also, if you could share how you set up your lights it would be a huge help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Hi Josselyn,

We do a lot of retouching serving mostly jewelry photographers.
As I understand you have a need to do large quantities for web, and there is no reason (or budget) for you to hire an expensive studio photographer.
If you are in LA area we have a few good photographers' contacts who do exactly that. If you are comfortable spending under $100 for about 20 items photographed we may arrange your visit to the studio and you'll see how your order is processed.

I suggest you to take a look at the following blogs for professional lighting setup for jewelry:

http://www.akelstudio.com/blog/jewel...r-inspiration/

http://www.epicmind.com/blog/

It may seem complicated but you should grasp the ideas behind the techniques and maybe replicate the process with less expensive equipment. The bottom line is you don't need to spend a fortune to take pictures intended for web display.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Update: I recently had the opportunity to go to Arnold Katz' studio and spend a day learning from him and David Katz (http://www.digitaljewelryphotography.net).

I'm still working on the "inside" of this ring, but just wanted to respond also to the question about standing the rings up. This ring was actually shot lying down, but I flipped the photo afterward.

Also, a neat trick I was shown was to use a hot glue gun to stand the jewelry up. It doesn't stick to the stones or the metal, comes off clean and doesn't "melt" under hot lights like wax does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HalfCTTW.jpg (75.2 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I took a closer look at the Gemvara site and besides adding contrast to the images, it looks like there was a lot of smoothing of the surfaces and of course good lighting. I also think that the rings jump out because everything is in sharp focus.
I looked at Gemvara's website and images are 3D rendered images. That's way all sharp and smooth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Its a matter of personal taste I like to see a lot of reflections when photographing polished gold so that the metal looks more realistic.

look here
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
A few things.... your image needed to be brought down a little... a little blown out so the details in the diamonds & the band aren't crisp... I realize you have to make the background very white so the jewelry suffers... that is a problem I have to deal with a lot...I'm a product & jewelry photographer.... I use different methods to deal with that and if high volume is involved you have to use the methods that don't slow you down too much.

On the site that your client likes you will notice that the backgrounds are not pure white so shooting the rings had one less problem to deal with.....also the rings are in focus in every area..... you can shoot with a smaller f-stop to gain depth of field or shot 2 or 3 shots with varying focus areas and blend them with a software called Helicon Focus....works very well unless your client doesn't care if the rings fade out of focus at the bottom end.

Here's your ring adjusted a little to see more detail.
Well, you said it. Multiple focusing while at the same position to the object, than stiching it up in PS. Also, ue paintbrush to gove that shine and smoothness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM

Nice photo but the retouch made the gold looking unreal (synthetic).
To reduce the retouch time, the initial photo has to be optimal.

One trick is to shoot inside a white light qube, to avoid black spots (which are retouched at the photo above), because gold is reflective and it reflects the environment.
So inside a white light qube with only a little hole for the camerra (and if needed for additional reduced spotlight/s) the gold ring cant reflect black ;-)

another trick is diffuse "walls" and a shiny ground (glas look),
that gives an exclusive look.
I have used it with black painted sheet metal, (high gloss) for silver coins and bullions.
This works also for rings and with white groung(high gloss).

Focus stacking is good and doesnt take much time when shoot with a tripod/camera mount.

greetings smaster
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 AM

check our before after samples on our site

http://www.seoandwebdesign.com/retouching_jewelry.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Hi Choysnug, Ifind your last photo well done, can you share with us what you have done to have this look.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching