RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

General Jewelry Retouching Help?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

General Jewelry Retouching Help?

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forums. They were recommended to me by a friend.

I just need some guidance on general photo retouching. I'm shooting samples for a wedding band website that my boss owns. I'm using a lightbox and moderately decent digital SLR.

I'm attaching one of the photos I took along with an image that she wants to "match" the look of. I know that I can match the look, but with so much time required. I was wondering if anyone could give me some "tips" or secrets to achieve this look? I have to photograph TONS of rings, then switch them out to 14k, 18k, white gold, and rose gold...so I can't really spend a huge amount of time on each ring.

Thank you all in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4CTTW_Raw.jpg (66.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: png 74802912-ff94-491c-bdfd-067a69c8512a.png (95.4 KB, 325 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Re: General Jewelry Retouching Help?

You'll never be able to achieve that look with just a little time in to each piece.
To get the look you want you will probably need to spend at least 1-2 hours on each piece.
It takes me at least an hour to get that look and I've been doing this for years.
I would manage the expectations form your boss and figure out the amount of time you can spend on each one then show him the result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM

What do I even do to get this look, though?

I think she understands now that it's going to take some time to retouch each piece, but I don't even know where to begin getting this type of appearance...

I got a macro lens, so I'm able to get MUCH more detail now in the photo...retouching is another thing, though. Are there any tutorials online that could help me? She's willing to pay for things if they will help us achieve this look...

My image: http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC_0025_2.jpg
Image that she likes the look of: http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...at121252PM.png

The website that she likes the pictures on is gemvara.com.

Thanks!

K
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM

A few things.... your image needed to be brought down a little... a little blown out so the details in the diamonds & the band aren't crisp... I realize you have to make the background very white so the jewelry suffers... that is a problem I have to deal with a lot...I'm a product & jewelry photographer.... I use different methods to deal with that and if high volume is involved you have to use the methods that don't slow you down too much.

On the site that your client likes you will notice that the backgrounds are not pure white so shooting the rings had one less problem to deal with.....also the rings are in focus in every area..... you can shoot with a smaller f-stop to gain depth of field or shot 2 or 3 shots with varying focus areas and blend them with a software called Helicon Focus....works very well unless your client doesn't care if the rings fade out of focus at the bottom end.

Here's your ring adjusted a little to see more detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0025_2.jpg (16.7 KB, 191 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Thanks I will definitely try taking the photo with different things in focus and bringing them together...

I don't think it's so much the "detail" as just having that "shine" to the piece. The photo looks a little flat as it is. As she said (and I hate it when clients use terms like this, but it's really the best way to say it) the photos on Gemvara just have "more life in them."

The samples I have are brass/CZ so the biggest thing I think I have to overcome is that "brassy" look. In any case, I just wanted to know if anyone had some techniques they used to get images with the same "feel" as the ones on Gemvara's site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choysnug View Post
Thanks I will definitely try taking the photo with different things in focus and bringing them together...

I don't think it's so much the "detail" as just having that "shine" to the piece. The photo looks a little flat as it is. As she said (and I hate it when clients use terms like this, but it's really the best way to say it) the photos on Gemvara just have "more life in them."

The samples I have are brass/CZ so the biggest thing I think I have to overcome is that "brassy" look. In any case, I just wanted to know if anyone had some techniques they used to get images with the same "feel" as the ones on Gemvara's site.

I took a closer look at the Gemvara site and besides adding contrast to the images, it looks like there was a lot of smoothing of the surfaces and of course good lighting. I also think that the rings jump out because everything is in sharp focus.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-18-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 AM

Hi,

Your problem is not retouching - the problem is in the photo you take.
Take a look at my before and after jewelry portfolio:

http://www.jetretouch.com/photo-editing-portfolio

These "before" photos are good for retouching. Yours is missing mid tones and shadows. Try to open the soft box to let some environment to reflect in your shiny gold. Also don't overexpose your diamonds.

Focus issue - Read on "focus stacking" in photoshop.

Good photo is a key. Trust me I do it for more than 5 years. It's possible but so much harder to pull out something good out of a bad photo.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM

I am trying the "focus stacking" technique now

Edit: THANK YOU so much for telling me to open up the light box and let some shadows come through. The photos are coming out with so much more depth now.

I was getting SO frustrated with these pieces!!! Also, I took some time to clean the pieces. The samples are brass and CZ, so they were coming out looking like, well...brass and CZ haha!

I could still use some help with some techniques in retouching, but having the better photos as per your advice has already improved my process 1000%!

THANK YOU!!! and lovely portfolio!

Last edited by Choysnug; 05-19-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Glad that a good advise helped

When you achieve what you want with your photos, please post the results here to share.
Would be great to show your progress. How it was and how it transformed after RetouchPro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM

New Raw Picture

Forgot to attach it the first time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new.jpg (66.4 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Choysnug; 05-20-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching