Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best book to begin with

Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Best book to begin with

Whats the best book for a beginner photographer to hone his photoshop skills with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Re: Best book to begin with

Kind of depends what area of photography you are interested in (not trying to be obtuse here). There are a few 'standards' that I could recommend anyway, but without knowing more it might be shooting in the dark a little.

For my money, I would have a look at LAB Colour or Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction (5th Edition) by Dan Margulis. Others will also have some standards, Katrin Eismann and the likes. As I say depends what you are shooting for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Ok I forgot to mention that I'm more interested in lifestyle pbotography (look up chase jarvis's work or this guy ) and fashion-ish photography kinda like terry richardson (yeah a lot of people hate his style but I actually kinda like it) or this guy and him

Anw, thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Photoshop classroom in a book. That's how you learn photoshop.

Then you go to a more specific workflow book. But learn how to use the program properly first. I'm always astonished by people that know how to do about 4 tasks in Photoshop, but nothing else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM

I believe "some of the best" resources you can find are those produced by Scott Kelby as well as those from

Infact, instead of a book, you might want to consider as a tutorial videos or DVDs as it eventually demonstrate well as compare to still texts for you to just read through.

To me the 7 point system and the photoshop for photographers series are really helpful for what I want to know
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Start with Classroom in a Book. That gets you all over the program so you at least can feel comfortable and confident with navigating and what and were the tools are. Then - The Absolute best 2 part series - Google Katrin Eismann's books. I used them to learn CS3 from ZERO PS knowledge. Get her step by step 'Restoration and Retouching' and then 'Masking and Compositing'. You will gain confidence you won't believe. This is the absolute best place to start. OK just my opinion, but I'm right : )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching