RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Becoming a retouching god? How?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Re: Becoming a retouching god? How?

The most expensive and valuable thing is your own time, invest it wisely into learning the basic techniques that all commercial retouchers use -

Making quality selections using luminosity, colour, channels, quickmask.

Dodge & Burn, many different ways to do it but the principal remains the same, takes a lot of time to master the visual nuances of micro and carving D&B, get to it.

Colour theory is important to understand in both photography and retouching, most images these days have a pretty strong colour contrast applied towards the end of the retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
how to get rid of Purple fringing and the like,
This particular problem is different from the others. No real way to avoid it if you use wide-angle lenses, it's a law of optics -- different colors of light don't focus exactly in the same place on a sensor, especially at the edges. You're really stuck with a small number of options:
  • Lightroom camera/lens profiles (not very good, but better than nothing)
  • ACR lens correction or Photoshop's Filter>Distort>Lens Correction (again, not very good but better than nothing)
  • DxO Optics Pro (much, much better option than Lightroom, ACR or Photoshop, but costs extra)
  • Hand-retouching it out (very tedious and not easy)
For newer photos I'm processing I use DxO Optics Pro. Best lens correction software on the market that I've seen. Does a very fine job on correcting purple fringing and other chromatic aberration problems.

For photos I've already processed I get as far as I can with Photoshop/Lightroom, then I have to hand-touch out the rest because DxO Optics Pro only works on raw files for the most part -- and that can be a truly ugly job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Adobe sent me a nice gift with my CS5 CD, a code to get 30 days free of Lynda videos! I shall be watching those for now! Can anyone tell me if there is a way to download individual episodes? I can't find a download option on the site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Patron

I don't think you can download them. As long as you're a member you have full access to all their videos at any time you want. Same with Kelby Training. So for the next 30 days the sky is the limit for you

Also, one thing you might consider is month by month membership. When you're stuck, pay them $25 for a one-month membership and watch all the PS videos you want for the rest of the month. Check first if you find those videos helpful, some people do and some don't as much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Tis a shame that in the future when someone perchance happens upon this thread while searching how to become a Retouching God... all they might find is a thread with broken links and no samples.
Must be the future already... neither one of his original links go anywhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Regarding the videos you can get a piece of software called an mpeg ripper which will save the vids to your comp for you in various formats to watch whenever you want give yourself some time and put all the ones that interest you on the comp then simply cancel with them as you already have what you need. to get this either google the above go to somewhere like download.com hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchillakilla View Post
Regarding the videos you can get a piece of software called an mpeg ripper which will save the vids to your comp for you in various formats to watch whenever you want give yourself some time and put all the ones that interest you on the comp then simply cancel with them as you already have what you need. to get this either google the above go to somewhere like download.com hope this helps.
There's a pretty basic problem with doing that -- it's outright piracy.

ThePhotographer, please don't start down that road. Respect other people's intellectual property the same way you want them to respect yours. The Golden Rule is the rule to live by in these cases.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
No, I'm no thief. The only thing I'll ever want to steal is a woman's heart.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 05:00 AM

sorry was just offering a cheap solution thats all with being on a tight budget here is a free ripper that is LEGAL
Code:
http://download.cnet.com/Kate-s-Video-Cutter/3000-2140_4-10637930.html?tag=mncol;5
hope this helps you sorry if it does not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Patron

Quote:
sorry was just offering a cheap solution thats all with being on a tight budget here is a free ripper that is LEGAL.
hope this helps you sorry if it does not.
Again, not correct, as far as I've heard and read.

From what I've heard and read, downloading copyrighted material that is intentionally made non-downloadable by the content creator is piracy, which is not legal, at least from what I understand from US law, not being an attorney. It doesn't matter how you do it. It matters that you do it.

Using otherwise legal software or other means to do illegal or unethical things is not legal or ethical either And posting that url here after that's been explained and otherwise rejected is not good form.

It's better to do with what you have and to do without for awhile than to do these sorts of things. Works better in the long run -- for everyone.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching