RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Becoming a retouching god? How?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Re: Becoming a retouching god? How?

the link i provided was from cnet's download.com the software is freeware there is no problem in using this whatsoever if you actually looked at the link you will see this is a legit site with legit programs. I was just trying to help but since you guys just wanna jump down my throat wish i never bothered.

I even went out of my way to find a program for you well there is gratitude for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Patron

Chinchillakilla,

We're not trying to jump down your throat. It's just that if you use a legal product in a non-legal way, it's not legal.

For example, if you have a fishing license and take a fishing pole and during fishing season catch a fish that meets legal criteria, no harm done. It's perfectly legal and ok to do.

If you take that exact same fishing pole and catch the exact same fish with it when it's not fishing season, it's illegal. It doesn't matter that your fishing pole was obtained legally.

Same with software. If you use legal software to make illegal copies of someone else's content, in violation of their explicit terms for your using their content, it's still illegal and it violates the copyrights of that content's author. And at its core, that's what piracy is, actually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 AM

I am backing down on this as although the software uses the word ripper you are not doing anything other than saving the files nothing changes in anyway they give you the 30 day trial to use their videos so where is the crime in saving them to your computer you are not changing any files or anything just archiving them to view at a later date or when needed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I am not saying anymore on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
We're not trying to jump down your throat. It's just that if you use a legal product in a non-legal way, it's not legal.

What if I screen grab it?

Don't be ridiculous.

If I'm not selling it, sharing it, or uploading it somewhere. If it's for personal use, what's the harm? Other than the harm to lynda's pockets because you don't have to pay twice for something you already paid.

I don't watch things in pages with subscriptions for this very same reason... I don't find it honest (Personal opinion)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Well. It just so happens that I AM a retouching deity. So you're in luck.

First. None of your work can ever be recognized, except subliminally or subconsciously. You will be worshiped for it, but no one will be able to actually SEE it.

Second. Don't look for work. It belittles you. Let it come to you through word of mouth. Or through prayers.

Finally. You'll have to retouch very well, for a very long time. If you do that, people will BELIEVE!

Amen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Don't be ridiculous.

If I'm not selling it, sharing it, or uploading it somewhere. If it's for personal use, what's the harm? Other than the harm to lynda's pockets because you don't have to pay twice for something you already paid.

I don't watch things in pages with subscriptions for this very same reason... I don't find it honest (Personal opinion)
The content belongs to Lynda.com (or one of the others mentioned). They are earning money by selling (time-limited) subscriptions to view the content. If someone copies that content to their computer, it means that person, no longer needs to subscribe and in effect, it nullifies Lynda.com's ability to earn from them.

Other examples I was thinking of are:
- you don't kidnap your teacher, keep him locked in the basement and consult with them when you are ready;
- you don't rent a movie, copy it, and watch it over and over;
- you don't rent a car, duplicate the key, return the car, and then come and take it again whenever you need.

Or if you do do these things, you would probably at least admit its illegal

Whats my point? Hmmm ... wether you do it or not is up to you, but at least admit its theoretically wrong to do.

--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 05-25-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaFox View Post

Well. It just so happens that I AM a retouching deity. So you're in luck.

First. None of your work can ever be recognized, except subliminally or subconsciously. You will be worshiped for it, but no one will be able to actually SEE it.

Second. Don't look for work. It belittles you. Let it come to you through word of mouth. Or through prayers.

Finally. You'll have to retouch very well, for a very long time. If you do that, people will BELIEVE!

Amen.
Very amusing and cheeky. I like it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Don't be ridiculous.

Not being ridiculous. At all. When is the last time anyone forced you or anyone else to watch that content?

If someone is forcing money out of your pocket for material you don't want, without giving you a choice, then you have a point. If not, then there is no point.

Their terms are clear if I understand them correctly. The viewer's license is to watch any Lynda.com video any time the viewer wants, 24x7, from anywhere in the world -- online. For 30 days. After 30 days the license expires. No harm done to anyone. And no need whatsoever to download anything.

It's like the RetouchPro videos here. They used to sell them. Now they rent them. For 3 days. If I understand their terms correctly you can watch as much as you want to for 3 days. Then the door closes. But no downloading allowed (unless I missed something in the terms).

Do I like that? Not really, I like buying DVDs better. Do I abide by it? Yes, I do. No one is forcing me to watch them, to rent them or even to want them. I can always Google around for free material if I don't want to pay or don't want to have the material on a time limit.

But I think it's outstanding material and worth renting. So if I want RetouchPro's material I rent it. There is no legitimate need for downloading it in any reasonably normal scenario, if downloading or ripping it violates their terms. Which it does, at least from what I've read in their terms.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Gosh how funny.
To return to the original question I would highly recommend doing work experience with a photographer you like or in a retouching house you respect. It's the only real way to learn.
Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM

In my own experience practice practice and practice. Ask people for critiques, dig in forums and knowledge as experience will follow you after. It won't happen over night just like becoming photographer. Good luck. Other thing when you advance from beginner sign for couple of we binaries by some ebooks(they are cheap) tehy will keep you occupied. Good luck
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching