RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Becoming a retouching god? How?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Question Becoming a retouching god? How?

Hello.
I'm a student in Photography wanting to work in Fashion and Beauty photography one day and I have noticed that many photographers aren't great at PP or retouching. I don't want to be that guy, I want to be able to do everything by myself.

The problem is I have been using Lightroom 3 most of the time since I started and only recently bough Photoshop CS5 as well. I experimented a little with a Dragan Effect, I did a bit of 'surgery' by replacing a left eye with a right eye because it didn't look right but other than that I don't know much. Books aren't very helpful to me because I just don't get it unless you show everything to me. Some tutorials by Sean Armenta have been really helpful!

Here is some retouching I did recently, I'd love some input, since I don't know much I know that I probably suck and my edit is awful, anyway:

- Original Image:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5022/...001160cb_b.jpg

- Edited Image:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/...5708e812_b.jpg

How bad is it doctor?

What are some good (free) video resources and tutorials to improve and learn new techniques? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Re: Becoming a retouching god? How?

hey patient ! you need a surgery ..... - now
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I do have a printed copy of french Photo magazine with Adrzej Dragan's portfolio (full page images) and I wouldn't say that all images were adjusted with Photoshop. Some of them look like hand colored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Patron

The best way to start is to take some Photoshop training. Since you're a photography student, take a Photoshop class then a take retouching class as part of your coursework. That would be your best bet by far.

Other than that, check out Meetup.com and search for Photoshop meet-ups near where you live. Also, check out YouTube, there are lots of Photoshop videos uploaded there that don't cost anything. I'd suggest starting with videos about Layers. Layers are the foundation of Photoshop, you can build the rest from there.

The real problem with a free approach is that you have to hunt around, go through videos that show you pieces and parts, and figure out the big picture yourself. A course or seminar of some kind organizes the material for you step by step in a planned, thought-out manner. It's much more efficient and you learn a lot more a lot faster. Just like with your photography courses that you're taking in school.

Or if you're about to graduate and don't have any classes left to take, figure out what you can actually afford to spend (your budget has to be more than $0 if you own Lightroom and Photoshop already) and take some reasonably priced courses or seminars.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
How bad is it doctor?
Welcome to RetouchPRO! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

I'm far from a Doc and just a hobbiest... but I did notice some strong "Halos" around your subject.. which could be easily be corrected by using the Clone Tool @ the Darken setting ... sampling from the background

To improve some of your other God like attributes try the following:

Use the built in help in CS5 and play with all the tools to get used to them and learn.. then try:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-cs5/

or

Youtube>search>photoshop CS5 + (your area of interest)

(After clicking on the thumbnail.... give it a couple seconds to change)
Image removed by request

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 05-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks Robert. Free, indeed because I already spent so much and my finances are pretty bad now, Photography school + Equipment + Lightroom & PS5 etc all costs a lot of money, I think I spent like 12000 Euros already on my career as a photographer. Now I am trying to save where I can. While it is true that my school offers a retouching and PP expert module I chose the Studio Work Expert module because it's just something I really need. Then of course there are 'regular' PP lessons but these only start in the second year, the first year being dedicated to film photography. What I would like to learn PP wise is how to do HDRs (not the unrealistic horrible stuff most people do, the nice way, the Joel Grimes way http://joelgrimes.com/ because I just love his HDR technique, I am told there may also be some Dragan effects which I know how to do but I can't seem to get similar results...), how to get rid of Purple fringing and the like, how to work on skin without making it look like plastic and conserving what makes its natural beauty (for example freckles in some cases etc...) and giving more dimension to my images!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Welcome to RetouchPRO! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

I'm far from a Doc and just a hobbiest... but I did notice some strong "Halos" around your subject.. which could be easily be corrected by using the Clone Tool @ the Darken setting ... sampling from the background

To improve some of your other God like attributes try the following:

Use the built in help in CS5 and play with all the tools to get used to them and learn.. then try:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-cs5/

or

Youtube>search>photoshop CS5 + (your area of interest)

(After clicking on the thumbnail.... give it a couple seconds to change)
Thank you 0lbaldy, yes the Halo is an after effect of me using a Dragan technique on this one. Incredible how easily you fixed that!

One thing though guys, please don't edit my stuff and repost it, I usually like to remove images from forums after a while, because in this case for instance I have an agreement with the model to remove it in a couple of days.

I'd appreciate if you could remove it in a while! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
Thanks Robert. Free, indeed because I already spent so much and my finances are pretty bad now, Photography school + Equipment + Lightroom & PS5 etc all costs a lot of money, I think I spent like 12000 Euros already on my career as a photographer.
Didn't know you are in Europe. Ok, in that case I'd recommend going through the free resources that people here are pointing you to. Also, check:
  • Lynda.com
  • KelbyTraining.com
They sometimes have free lessons (one of them has a new one each month, forgot which one). Also try:
  • RussellBrown.com
  • PlanetPhotoshop.com
  • Abuzeedo.com
and Google for "free photoshop lessons" or for the topics you're most interested in. The YouTube videos mentioned above can be really good, as can Adobe TV per OlBaldy's post above.

There are thankfully plenty of free resources out there, but finding them and organizing them takes time and effort. Don't get frustrated by that

The really coolest resources you're going to have to pay for, most likely. But that's a way off yet, learn what you can free in the mean time.

Another idea -- get together regularly with some whiz-kid classmates of yours, or other students, who are good at retouching and have them show you some things. Make it a regular study group where you can help them with photography and they can help you with retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Patron

Tis a shame that in the future when someone perchance happens upon this thread while searching how to become a Retouching God... all they might find is a thread with broken links and no samples..

for HDR links try;

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hdr-hdri-tone-mapping/

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/hdr .. and ... http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/hdrpartii
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Amazing guys!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching