RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this B&W tone?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 AM

Newbie How to achieve this B&W tone?

Hi,
If some body help me achieve this B&W Tone/Processing
http://www.antoniogrambone.it/01b_everyday.html

Seeing this just amazed me and I start liking the black and white more than color
Please help me
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 AM

Re: How to achieve this B&W tone?

Looking at the pictures, the lighting is very good and has been paid attention to. I'm no photographer, but seems like a lot of "natural" light (maybe only) in the shots of the woman? Also quite wide angle. I'm sure some photographers can add more detail to how this was shot.

The post processing gives it almost a HDR-look with high local contrast. Try increasing local contrast (weak, high radius sharpen) and see if you can get something out of using shadow/highlights or the HDR Toning adjustment. You probably have to perform some local adjustments using masks depending on the image.
The example images are darker around the edges (vignetting), but this seems to be a result of the lighting more than the lens or post-processing, but you might want to add some to your photo in photoshop.
The black and white conversion itself should be done with the Black & White adjustment layer.

Do you have a sample photo you would like processed like this? It's easier to have an actual image to try it on...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM

Thank 's for reply
I will post image asap
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM

There is also an almost painterly approach to the tonal distribution throughout the image.
I think there has been a lot of localised tonal adjustment. A good way to view the overall tonal composition without being distracted by details is to apply a noise>median filter. This is a bit like a digital equivalent of "squinting".
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM

All the images are quite low-key. It's very dark, with bright highlights, yet the contrast don't fell over done to me...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM

I completely agree with what Chain wrote above... Local adjustments take a good part on those works... The artist could also be going thru a "tonemapping process" then converting to B & W, that can explain the HDR touch, but no1 can tell exactly the process another person uses, being that the digital world has no limits, and you can manipulate photos how ever you want to. On the other hand, there's a plug-in called Silver Efex Pro for these kind of works... It also can be done in Adobe Camera Raw thou...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Lighting setup is a big factor with the tone/lighting created before you get to the post processing options. Clues can be had by looking at the shadows in the image. In the refinishing workshop it appears that there is a lighting source (direct or bounced) from the left of the camera almost parallel to the wall, to the right facing almost directly towards the wall (almost right angles), and one placed up at the ceiling. Check the shadows on the legs of the chair as well as the legs of the table. I am no lighting expert, just going by the shadows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM

The HDR Touch seems like it has been done by Topaz adjust, most likely "portrait drama" or "detailed". Then by using the black and white adjustment you can focus on the channels and select higher amounts of contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Patron

Also, on my laptop monitor (not the best one, I know, but it's what I have right now) it looks like the images have a slight toning to them, not neutral blacks and grays but with a hint of selenium toning added. Gives them a hint of a cool color cast that adds to the drama.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 AM

I totally agree. It looks like Lucis Pro or Topaz Adjust has had a hand in the contrast enhancement. Probably followed up by dodge and burn.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching