RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of Rarindra Prakarsa

Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 AM

Demystification of Rarindra Prakarsa

i love how dreamy his photos are. i know this will be easily be demystified by the pros here.

http://photo.net/photos/rarindra
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Re: Demystification of Rarindra Prakarsa

From what I can see the saturation levels in his photos are higher according to
1.) the original saturation and
2.) the luminosity of the image in combination which is then
3.) enhanced quite a bit in contrast.

So what I'd do is: first extract the luminosity using a Hue/Saturation layer in "Color" mode with saturation set to -100.
Then extract chromaticity by using Selective Color (method: Absolute) with black set to -100% in all the colors, black set to +100% in the non-colors.
Now combine these using the Multiply mode and use "Image"-"Adjustments"-"Equalize" on the result.
Using this as a layer in "Saturation" mode, clip a Gradient Map to it with a gradient from white to red and Smoothness set to 0%.

The rest is finetuning, e.g. adding a vignette in "Luminosity" mode that's cutting the whites, lighting the middle with curves by adding white and opening the midtones and as a final step I had to shift the yellows in my image as they were getting too red.

The PSD file can be downloaded here if you wish to: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/Fore...O/Rarindra.psd

Edit: This is the photo I used as a reference: http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=13052956
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rarindra_edit.jpg (95.0 KB, 159 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 AM

wow thats a lot of info there. will try to review it thanks!!

how bout this photo? how did he get the dreamy haze and the tone?

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5965103

ty in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Pretty much the same plus it's overlayed by a dark orange tone to give it the color look.

What you can try to decipher this looks is using something like my Analyze action which I attached you.

This'll create a separate document in which the active file is separated into the original (top left), the luminosity (top right), the saturation (bottom left) and the hue (bottom right).
Now try to see how they interact with each other and you'll probably soon find out how the images work :-).
Putting this knowledge together is another thing, but I outlined one possible approach, if you have questions or need assistance, feel free to ask :-).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Analyze.zip (999 Bytes, 203 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM

it seems so simple yet so complicated. but will try to study it. im not that familiar with "luminosity" and "chromaticity" and i guess the saturation part on the analyze action is the darker the image the more saturated it is right?
btw how do i combine the extract luminosity and chromaticity by multiply mode? how exactly do i do that? thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM

Luminosity is just the brightness information of the image, chromaticity is a form of saturation.
The chromaticity is lowest where the image is black, highest where it's white, so just the other way around :-).

You can either use the "Image"-"Calculations" set the channel 1 to the "Luminosity" channel, the channel 2 to "Chromaticity" channel and use blending mode of "Multiply".
Yet easier just [Ctrl]-/[Cmd]-click on the "Luminosity" channel's thumbnail and then [Shift]+[Alt]+[Ctrl]-/[Cmd]-click on the "Chromaticity" channel, this'll give you the same results without having to go to the calculations dialog (which can be quite overwhelming for starters).

It's just easier for me to say Luminosity*Chromaticity instead of writing the whole procedure ;-).

If you want to, I can do a quick video tutorial about the effect (though I'll just show my image, not one of Prakarsa's because I'm not sure about the copyright).

Edit: I just created an action for this kind of effect (the saturation & vignette part, the color overlay is up to the user).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saturated Lights.zip (1.4 KB, 172 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM

yes please im really learning a lot in here.

and thanks for being so unselfish and spending time trying to teach people like me
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM

IMHO, The shots are great, and so are the colors and I guess the process is very professional also, but there is something I don't like: The offset look annoys the eyes, and the blury parts in some of them doesn't match the rest of the photo. Not in every 1 of them thou. But that's just me...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM

If you have some patience, have a look here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24972177
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Here it is :-): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ygwOXNYRAQ

And here are the PSD file and actions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/YouT...d%20Lights.zip
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching