RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

this frequency separation you all speak of...

Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Re: this frequency separation you all speak of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaxxxxxx View Post
but whats it all about that FS...?
Are you joking?

Chain explained what it is, and what its used for in his first post.
Then proceeded to explain how to do it, and link to a PS action to perform the FS
And it was explained further in the thread by very knowledgeable posters.

Yes, you must be joking - sorry.

--Shift Studio.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Offset should be 0, not 9 ;-).
*typo fixed
Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM

had my first go, pretty cool, but still feels like i am faster at DnB than this with all the changing layers every now and then... guess i need to find my natural flow.

wonder if there was ever a retouchPro Live broadcast with someone using this technique from start to finish. would be an interesting one!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
had my first go, pretty cool, but still feels like i am faster at DnB than this with all the changing layers every now and then... guess i need to find my natural flow.

wonder if there was ever a retouchPro Live broadcast with someone using this technique from start to finish. would be an interesting one!
Hi:

Although the FS technique, achieves something different then D&B, as some other members stated above, most retouchers use it along with D&B. This technique is also used for some other things, like sharpening, blur, replace texture, hair retouch etc.

Here is a link to a simple video about it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyae...79CF226CFE4BD0
Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Nothing's going to substitute for meticulous D n B, pixel-level cloning, targeted curves and judicious use of the healing brush. I've personally found the greatest benefit with split frequency layers is in smoothing out tones to a greater extent than is possible with the other tools. Like anything cool, it's easily abused, which is my gripe with the degrunge technique: it's almost impossible to use it without it calling attention to itself. With split frequency layers, you can build up the smoothing effect gradually, in real time. Like any good tool, it simply gives you more options.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 PM

I love frequency separation for work on skin that is really tricky. I especially love splitting it into 3--low, high light and high dark--this is a great way to remove little veins without removing the pores altogether. Of course you do really have to figure out when and where to put it in the workflow. I find it really useful for some things. Just another tool in the box, but I was delighted when I first discovered it. The Model Mayhem link Jonas provided is an excellent read on the subject.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM

High light is the high pass with just the light information on it, high dark is just the dark information?
Seems like an interesting idea to play with, although I'm not sure whether it's really helpful (in my workflow) or not.

E.g. Why not just use "Darken" and "Lighten" modes?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
The ultimate post about FS: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?t...=439098&page=1

Edit: The other Jonas was faster :-)!
Great article, very detailed, thanks for the pointer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Hi:

Here is a link to a simple video about it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyae...79CF226CFE4BD0
This is an excellent, easy to understand and follow video tutorial. It's where I learned about the technique. The video is straightforward and demystifying.

Also, don't get confused by the name -- the name Frequency Separation is completely inaccurate (although admittedly that name is very cool and sounds very sophisticated ). You are not "separating frequencies", you are separating texture from color into separate layers order to work on texture and color individually.

So after the tutorial and video, for me it's better to name my layers Texture and Color, which actually describes what I'm doing, not High Frequency and Low Frequency which don't really mean anything because Texture and Color aren't 'frequencies' of one another.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM

Not true.
Frequency separation is a separation in terms of spatial frequencies, not a separation based on color and texture (texture is a word with different meanings anyways: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...29465173761662).

See these three posts from NIRBTG here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?t...1#post14971490

Color and texture are a completely different issue (and you'll see that in most cases the HIGH layer contains color as well if you bump up the saturation extremely).
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Jonas,

Cool. Thanks. Very useful information.

In practice, at least in the YouTube video, seems you're retouching textures on the High Frequency layer and blurring colors on the Low Frequency layer, is that always the case? If so, then I'll name my layers High Frequencies (Textures) and Low Frequencies (Colors). Otherwise I'll just learn more about how it's used and come up with some more meaningful names that fit better.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching