RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

skin again

Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM

skin again

What is your way to achieve smooth skin if large areas of it have different tones? Attached example has many different stains which are lighter or darker. Please help. I am working over few important pictures and most of them require solution to this problem.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0001.jpg (47.9 KB, 141 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Re: skin again

You can deal with these blotches effectively, but you'll need to attack the problem in steps.

Initially you're not dealing with a retouching issue; it's a color correction problem. You need to work backwards, using targeted curves. Instead of masking out your area, then fiddling with the curves until you get the result you want, sample a red blotchy area, and an area that you want to shift the red tones towards. Then, in a curve layer, plug in the values for each channel into your Input and Output boxes. That's your desired result. Now mask the layer and paint white into the mask everywhere you see red. Use the same brush technique you'd use for dodging and burning: low opacity pressure sensitive strokes that build up the effect gradually. It won't fix everything—it's not a one-stop shopping solution— and as you move to areas that are darker or lighter than your samples, saturation will become more of a problem (darks and lights are less saturated than mid-tones) but it will make a major dent in the problem.

Then try a Selective Color layer. In the Reds, pull magenta down between 5 and ten notches and push yellow up the same distance. In the Yellows, pull yellow down and push magenta up. This will move reds and yellows toward each other and further smooth out the blotches.

There will probably be some imperfections remaining, but these will be subtle enough that standard Dodge/Burn layers will work, or even the healing brush, though you can probably clean them up without messing with the original texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Patron

I see two main problems - there are red blotchy areas and the image was improperly lit causing very uneven tone.
The 1st problem can be taken care of in a few seconds if you open the image in Camera RAW and select the HSL tab. Click on the Hue tab and drag the Red channel slider to the right until the red blotches match the surrounding skin color. Sample attached below just took a few seconds.
As for problem 2, you will need to correct the uneven luminosity with one of: the many options which include
- One or more curve adj layers
- Shadow / Highlight (for some images)
- Dodge and burn (time consuming)
- advanced layer blending
- probably another dozen ways
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supjak skin2 MM.jpg (59.6 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM

As you dodge and burn the need to change color will decrease. I used a temporary B&W adjustment layer then curves to lighten and darken with a brush on mask. When the temp layer is turned off the colors will match pretty closely.... If you like you could then blur and mask a duplicate layer set to color or use one of the new techniques to blur the color then mask as needed.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: gif Merge-Down.gif (79.8 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I see two main problems - there are red blotchy areas and the image was improperly lit causing very uneven tone.
The 1st problem can be taken care of in a few seconds if you open the image in Camera RAW and select the HSL tab. Click on the Hue tab and drag the Red channel slider to the right until the red blotches match the surrounding skin color. Sample attached below just took a few seconds.
As for problem 2, you will need to correct the uneven luminosity with one of: the many options which include
- One or more curve adj layers
- Shadow / Highlight (for some images)
- Dodge and burn (time consuming)
- advanced layer blending
- probably another dozen ways
Regards, Murray

The HSL sliders also help to smooth out the blotches using the luminance slider on the reds also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Thanks guys a lot. How to dodge and burn with temp b&w layer? I have seen this technique somewhere but never used. I wanted to find some tutorial about that but I couldn't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by supjak View Post
Thanks guys a lot. How to dodge and burn with temp b&w layer? I have seen this technique somewhere but never used. I wanted to find some tutorial about that but I couldn't.
As you dodge or burn a RGB image, which is in color, at the same time as you change its luminosity you are also changing its saturation and color. When you view the image in color, your eye can be tricked into thinking that you have dodged or burned your target to the correct luminosity. The addition of a desaturating layer above your work allows you to visualize when the luminosity of your target is reached independent of the color colors. The most efficient tool to use as a "visualization layer" is a Hue/Sat adj layer or a Vibrance Adj layer where the Saturation slider is moved all the way to the left.
Finally you should change the blend mode of the visualization layer to Hue.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supjak screenshot.jpg (191.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 AM

This way to d&b is very smart. I will use it definitely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Finally you should change the blend mode of the visualization layer to Hue.
Color or Saturation blend modes will also give the same result.

Actually, a good rule of thumb is to always have Hue/Saturation layers set to "Color" to avoid it affecting Luminosity.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching