RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Capture One raw conversion

Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Patron

Re: Capture One raw conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tom View Post
@ Robert Ash: I agree with you about Dx0 It does a great job of conversion especially for colors, distortion and chromatic aberration control. When I tried the demo though, I found that the program could not resolve nearly as much detail and capture one or arc. Do you find this to be true as well?
Hi Tom,

Actually, I've had great experience in that area as well. I experimented with DxO Optic Pro's sharpening, then did my normal sharpening in Photoshop afterward.

The results were fantastic. In fact, I won a Merit Award in print competition with that print (my first landscape entry into print competition) and none other than the great Hanson Fong (who was a judge that night) told me afterward it looked like I shot it with a 4x5 view camera. I was able to resolve detail and get sharpening using DxO as a starter that I couldn't do with Photoshop alone.

Moreover, I'd used a Nikon DX lens, not a full-frame lens.

That said, I'm a very recent customer of the product and have not used the product long enough to know what kinds of images it consistently works on or doesn't. But it saved my sanity with that image and some others.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESider View Post
I guess what I'm getting at is that instead of trying to process the cleanest file from raw is that they are doing major color moves with the converter instead of post conversion in Photoshop and it seems to be done across the board with the major fashion shooters that favor this type of look.
This is an important point.

One factor I suspect may play into this decision is the initial quality of the raw conversion. All raw converters re-render the camera raw file's embedded JPEG - some more, some less. Capture One did a much better job of this for me than Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw did -- especially with skin tones. Lightroom used to ruin my skin tones. I could see the initial JPEG, then see Lightroom re-render it before my very eyes. ACR did the same thing. And I could never fully correct the color cast they imposed. I'm using an Expodisc consistently now for studio work so it's not as big of an issue any more even with Lightroom.

Capture One did re-rendering, too. But it wasn't as obvious and it did a much better job with skin tones, which typically really looked good. When its rendering was off for some images it chose a less offensive path of error (usually some oversaturation and warming) than Adobe's product did.

DxO Optics Pro has a very natural-looking rendering and doesn't do much if anything to the original JPEGs. I haven't tried DxO Optics Pro for skin tones yet, only for landscapes and travel images. Would be worth it for me to give skin tones a try as well at some point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tom View Post

@ LESider: Wasn't the independent channel adjustment only available since version #5 ? Less than 2 years ago I believe?
I don't know, I do know that Camilla only uses an older version of capture one specifically for highlight and shadow coloring. Apparently on the older versions you can fine tune the individual curves a bit easier.

I am sure that the final coloring/toning and contrast is done in Capture One and photoshop is used for retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESider View Post
I don't know, I do know that Camilla only uses an older version of capture one specifically for highlight and shadow coloring. Apparently on the older versions you can fine tune the individual curves a bit easier.

I am sure that the final coloring/toning and contrast is done in Capture One and photoshop is used for retouching.
Thinking..... version 5 added the independent channel adjustments. Version 4 was the basis for capture one 5 and 6. Version 3 and before used a bit different layout with a lower resolution preview. It did have a slightly different look to color/contrast and the resolution output numbers were just slightly different. I would guess this would mean something like version 3 although it lacked individual channel adjustment. I could be wrong on this though. The default settings on version 3 and before are a bit too processed for my taste. If you adjust the sharpening though and tone down the noise/banding reduction it can still look really good. I just hated it when I'd receive over processed files with blown highlights rather than a raw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 AM

Capture one is a great tool... The DigiTechs may play around a tad to get a look for the client. But they rarely get into processing the images out. I do that for my clients.

It can be used to great effect... I am lucky, I always have the latest version given to me. Capture One use our studio to promote and train... So I get free upgrades and training on each release!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching