RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Capture One raw conversion

Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Capture One raw conversion

This is hopefully a conversation starter.
I've seen numerous threads where people are trying to figure out how photographers get the skin tone and color shifts in the shadows. We are talking about photographers such as Camilla Akrans, Guy Aroch, Steven Klein ect.
The discussions are always about how to do these adjustments in Photoshop but many fail to realize that the digi-techs for the past 5 or so years have been doing a lot of this color shifting in Capture One during the raw conversion using the channel mixer and curves in the conversion software and this is giving a completely different look than you can get with the same tools after conversion in Photoshop.

I would really like to see some of the Retouch Pro Live events be of the Digi-Techs that are on set with the photographers and how they manage the capture thru conversion of the raw files that they then deliver to the retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Re: Capture One raw conversion

Plenty of people use both for conversions, but photoshop is probably more accessible. I like capture one personally, but it's yet another item you pay to keep updated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Capture One or another raw processor, if the data IS captured in raw, the place to get the best possible non destructive color and tone from the data is in the raw conversion stage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM

I guess what I'm getting at is that instead of trying to process the cleanest file from raw is that they are doing major color moves with the converter instead of post conversion in Photoshop and it seems to be done across the board with the major fashion shooters that favor this type of look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Every shoot I've been on/retouching project I've been involved in we've looked at the RAW file as a starting point. The digi-tech usually does do some whitebalancing, but mostly just storing and making sure everything is well organised. I've never used their adjustments and I don't know of anyone that has, so I'm not sure how much this happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Ok I am inspired by the tone of Camilla Akrans Numero series seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspiri...na/3006795348/

I notice that the shadows are a bit blue but somehow it makes the rest of the skin tones and other tones a bit warm and creamy.

Any idea how to achieve this look though capture one or PS?

I realize proper lighting and exposure play a huge roll but this seems to be an interesting effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Patron

Looks a bit like split toning, esp. if you click the Older and Newer tabs to see more of her work. She might have added some blue in the shadows, which would automatically make the midtones and highlights appear warmer.

A couple of others look like there might be cross-processing layer at low opacity. I suspect she's using not just a RAW processor but some Photoshop as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM

From what I understand it started with Chad Pitman when he was assisting Greg Kadel, he would play with the Capture One color curves to get an idea of what they wanted while shooting and not having to go into photoshop (I believe Greg was not amused at first), they then realized that they were getting better results doing these major color shifts in C1 than in photoshop. A few other photographers then started doing this, one being camilla akrans.
I believe that this all can be done with photoshop but that some photographers like the look of C1 and that they can be looking at the conversions quickly while shooting tethered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Patron

Understood and agreed. I'm not a Capture One user of the current version (I used Capture One 5 but I moved to DxO Optics Pro when Capture One 6 came out) but the product does a lot. I'm sure I remember it does split toning. You can tone the shadows blue then tone the highlights warmer, and also do image softening. That should approximate the effect pretty well the effect Tom Tom is looking for in Camilla's images.

That said, it's pretty likely Camilla uses Photoshop as well as a raw processor, some of her images look slightly cross-processed and you'd have to manually simulate that in Capture One if it can do it (I've never tried that).

I found Capture One does a better job of rendering colors than Adobe products do, especially skin tones. Adobe products (Lightroom and ACR) also change the camera's JPEG way too much and it's a devil of a time trying to approximate that look again. Capture One does a much better job.

DxO Optics Pro to me gives the nicest, most natural color rendering out of the box and does lens corrections the best I've seen in any product by far.

Also, unlike Capture One, DxO Optics Pro always gives you a fully functional product no matter which product you pick. The only difference in price is in what model camera you use. Full-frame camera version costs more, crop-sensor camera version costs less but both versions have the same full range of functionality.

Capture One only offers crippled functionality in their lower-priced package and saves most of the interesting functionality and flexibility for the more expensive package.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks Guys,

I tried out the method of independently manipulating the color channels and levels in capture one. After some time I achieved some interesting and pleasurable results.

The most compelling was slightly dropping the red channel curve from middle and then slightly increasing the green and blue with the same middle curve pull, the significantly warming though WB kelvin. The result seemed to add more color depth to the skin tones without changing the overall look very much (except the blue shadows)

@ LESider: Wasn't the independent channel adjustment only available since version #5 ? Less than 2 years ago I believe?

@ Robert Ash: I agree with you about Dx0 It does a great job of conversion especially for colors, distortion and chromatic aberration control. When I tried the demo though, I found that the program could not resolve nearly as much detail and capture one or arc. Do you find this to be true as well?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching