RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

buying a new computer...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

buying a new computer...

So its time to get a new computer, however I am in doubt of the best route (mainly display related)

option 1

Macbook Pro 15'' 2.0 quad core i7 with antiglare display - carry on working as usual until i have enough cash to buy a good monitor

option 2

Macbook Pro 13'' 2.7 dual core i7 with normal glossy display and spend the extra cash and get a £300 display

option 3

Imac 21'' 2.5 quad core i5 - normal glossy display, and use spare chas to find a decent display

I am leaning towards option 1, although more expensive, as I quite like the mobility as I am planning to travel a bit!

any pro advice will be appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Re: buying a new computer...

I went the 15 inch MacBook Pro route with external 24 inch monitor back in 2008 and it worked for me.

It really depends on your priorities, budget, and how you want to eventually expand your system.

NOTE: For critical image editing (color/tone) I have not seen a notebook/laptop display that will do the job on a standard Mac or PC. The reason, the vertical viewing angle is typically very limited compared to a regular monitor and the tone/color shifts quite a bit with titling the display lid.

NOTE: My laptop display was glossy (I had no choice) yet I would opt for the anti-glare today. It may be a tad less bright and sharp yet the reflections in uncontrolled environments is not too conducive to image editing.

I travel quite a bit and opted for a little more weight and cost to get the extra 30% screen area with the 15 inch vs the 13 inch. It fits in my backpack just fine. If you are really sensitive to extra weight (as my wife), then going for a lighter model may be worthwhile.

I use the MacBook Pro as my base system and attached 24inch display, peripherals, and HDs through the supplied ports. It sits on a stand so use the laptop lid display as the secondary monitor for convenience.

iMac is a totally different beast. That would be the direction I would take if I were really going for higher system capacity. Note that it has 4 memory slots while the MacBooks only have 2 (so twice the total memory when maxed out). Also, there is room for more HD or SSD capacity. So if you "feel the need, the need for speed", then going with the iMac has the edge.

For me, I sacrificed that higher system capacity for the mobility and purchased extra memory and HD space through OWC at macsales.com. Since it was a must that I had compute capability on the road, I did not also want an iMac because I would have to purchase and manage two systems (cost and keeping data synced and backed up for both). More than I needed then or now.

Lots of apples and oranges here so it really depends on your priorities. Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM

thanks for the input... what external monitor are you using with that setup?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM

I am using the 24 inch Apple LED cinema display that was sold in the similar time frame that I purchased the MacBook Pro

However, I got a special deal and would not offhand recommend this unit. List price is about 2X for very good monitors from NEC I have seen recommended on various forums. Also, I ended up with a glossy display. Thought this wold be OK since it is in a very controlled environment. It's personal choice yet after a couple years with the glossy in a controlled environment, I still find for me that the reflective surface is still a distraction. I gave it a try yet I plan to go for anti-glare monitors in the future.
Also, if you are not familiar with how brightness is set on the Macs, I don't particularly like their approach. Under System Utilities > Displays you have a brightness slider. For control, you probably want to turn off the auto-adjust brightness based on ambient light. I would rather have hard numeric brightness control than the slider yet never found a way or workaround. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM

yep, I am not a fun of apple display either! I dont understand why I have to pay an extra £120 to have a bloody anti glare on laptop... it just doesnt make sense!!!

And it doesnt make sense either to not offer that option on cheaper laptops or even on imacs!

its frustrating, I will keep my eyes open for NEC monitors!

thanks for all the info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Here is i7 MBP + Dell U2410 (sadly it's not LED backlit, it take like 30mins to full warm up) and it show argb color and is wider then 24in imac or cinema display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Now i have using 3 Mac computers and planning to add the last most powerful one later:

17" Macbook Pro early 2008, 13" MBP early 2009, Mac Mini also early 2009, i was using normal PC CRT monitor with my MBPs then i bought Apple Cinema Display 30" and Eizo CG 222W[22"], both are nice monitors but i don't know why i just keep using my ACD30" and i didn't use my Eizo for almost 1 year ago now, and i was thinking to buy another monitor of Eizo when i get money but not sure if i should get 24" or 27" or 30".
I feel i want to ignore 30" as i have one already, and if i do buy another Eizo then i use that with Mac Pro that i am looking for to buy sooner or later, I stopped to use PC since 2008.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Damn Tareq, that is a sweet setup you have there
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
Damn Tareq, that is a sweet setup you have there
Sure, i try to save and buy almost the best if not best of the best, i don't want to spend on standard or average quality equipment even with computers, so i hope to get Mac Pro with great specifications first, then later i may think of another monitor if necessary.

Good luck with your choice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 PM

I pull the trigger on a 15.4 Macbook Pro quad core i7 with hi res anti glare display!

next I will be on the market for a good display... but before that... a prime canon lens will be on the way!!! uhuuu

gotta get the priorities straighten up, right?

thanks for all the advice, cant wait for the computer to arrive!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching