RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help retouching lingerie shot

Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 AM

Need help retouching lingerie shot

I need some advice here. I do mainly fashion and beauty work but, at a recent shoot the model wanted some lingerie shots. Well, I figured that when a beautiful lady asks a favour it is rude to refuse!

First off, this is not "glamour", the model in question is a full time professional actor and model and needs lingerie shots for her book. The style is commercial/catalogue.

Now, this is new stuff to me so I would like some advice on what tools I should work with. Obviously I was going to sort out the skin using my usual blend of healing brush, clone tool and D&B. I was then going to use macro scale D&B to enhance the sculpting of abdominal muscles etc. And finish with some work on highlights (probably using a white layer, masked and applied with a low opacity, soft brush).

Am I on the right track? Any other ideas. Sorry but I am not on my main computer so cant post an image but will do later if people think that will help.

Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Re: Need help retouching lingerie shot

Yes, you are on the right track.

I wouldn't say the specific clothes necessarily change the skillset required. Clearly large skin areas require careful macro d&b which can be deceptively difficult to get right. Your best tool is probably Squint - narrow your eyes to see where shadow/highlight carving should be applied to enhance the body.

And knees are a nightmare.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Thanks so much. The squint tool, yes, I think I have seen that but can't remember where it is in CS4. I think it might be just below the clone tool between the "myopia" tool and the "go temporarily blind" tool - LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
Thanks so much. The squint tool, yes, I think I have seen that but can't remember where it is in CS4. I think it might be just below the clone tool between the "myopia" tool and the "go temporarily blind" tool - LOL
Brilliant humor!!! Love it.

Many people recommend a models book should contain images that are not obviously retouched. So you might be able to "get by" in this case with just slight applications of the above...and just take away the real obvious areas.

Agents and their paying clients want model portflio books to look "pretty real"...so they can really see what they are buying in the model. They were looking to hire the model herself...not her best retoucher. Those near the industry see these "pretty real looking books" from all the good models, all the time...so they are used to it...so when someone comes in with an over-retouched image...its actually somewhat counter-productive sometimes.

Good Luck!!

Ray12
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching