RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hard to find good beauty retoucher ..

Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Re: Hard to find good beauty retoucher ..

Quote:
People that charge $10-$15 for an image are not retouchers.... They are people that have a copy of photoshop. Usually a unlicensed version at that. Known as SMUDGERS!

I have 3 cars... including a classic. I do a lot of maintainance on them... I am NOT a mechanic, and would never call myself one.

Sorry if this sounds cruel, but it is the truth. I have made my living as a retoucher since 1972. These smudgers are killing the art of retouching. Just mt 2c worth.
If you produce work that clearly separates you from smudgers then you're not going to have a problem. Even if regular people think we are magicians who can create anything in ps with the click of a button and really have no idea about what goes on behind the scenes, surely they can still differentiate between retouchers and amateurs? If a retoucher is limited to good skin, hair, lighting etc and they boast no other skills then maybe they should be replaced by someone cheaper who does the exact same thing? Or maybe the client should learn to do their own skin, hair and lighting etc, it's not that difficult. lol xo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
GM.. what would you consider a fair rate for retouching a beauty image? Do you have "standard rates" or do you set a rate after you've seen the image? I'm not talking about commercial clients. I ask because everyone is a retoucher now charging $10 or $15 for a retouch and a lot of them are no better than I am but because they oversaturate images or make the eyes look good, people seem to like it.

Thanks
Maybe this can help you (I did a guest blog on the subject)

http://www.exposingfashion.com/2011/...ics-mkt-style/

Quote:
Originally Posted by women'sdesk View Post
If you produce work that clearly separates you from smudgers then you're not going to have a problem
+1
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM

So, how long is a piece of string? I charge $125 an hour....I don't have problems with that, nor do my clients....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM

You only charge $125 freelance? Your work is great, are you charging less than similar retouchers in your area? xo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM

No, About the same.... I do charge more for the agencies back in the UK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
No, About the same.... I do charge more for the agencies back in the UK.
Just in canada... i think the average in my city is $60 - $150 p/hour and 500+ for anyone famous. I keep getting asked to freelance for the well known houses and agencies locally, even though I haven't actually worked for a retouching house before... It is a conundrum because I don't want paid work, just training. Maybe i should pay to train with someone or just assist them? You are always saying that it is better to train one on one, which do you think is the best?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Yep... I have always trained people one on one.... It works really well. And they all seem to be doing well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianr View Post
Sounds like you need to be giving your retouchers better markups and references. Tell them what you want cleaning, what you don't want touching, and give them a colour reference. Then they won't go missing the hair, changing the makeup and screwing the colour some way you don't want it.

It's not hard for you to process out a RAW and scribble some notes on it. Or include a text document with the delivered files outlining what you expressly do and do not want doing with the images.

Then when you find a good retoucher/company, stick with them.
I think that's a good ideia.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching