RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hard to find good beauty retoucher ..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Hard to find good beauty retoucher ..

Hi

it's my first time to post there about retouching. sorry for my poor english (i'm french and learn my poor english 25 yers ago)

i'm there to exchange about that question :

"what's good beauty retoucher ?"

i'm many time making exchang on my beauty test with some young retoucher for there portfolio but many time , it's not working.

Somes times , they change color of picture, change color of make up, work skin but not hair, work just face but not the hand and the body.

For me Beauty it's skin picture or / and make up picture, i have to shoot the make up and respect it. that's my subject not the model.

i'm meet to retoucher who didn't work picture on 16 bit or sometimes just put high pass effect on skin and when picture is big we see face hair ..

Beauty is the hardest work for retouch no ?

stéfan Bourson
http://www.sbourson.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Re: Hard to find good beauty retoucher ..

Well... yeah.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

It is very difficult to understand retouching skin and takes many hours to create a image.

I would be interested in retouching a piece of work for you to add to my portfolio.

Please see my imagery and online portfolio for examples of my work, roll over the images to see before and after.

www.hollymiller.co.uk/retouching_portfolio_1

Kind Regards
Holly Miller
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Hello, I'm French as well for that matters.

I think the hardest thing is to find where to fit in. If you call for high-end beauty retouchers, I think you'll find the wannabees or the expensive ones. If you offer just TFP or port exposure or whatever, you'll find maybe just the former.

If I see "high end" somewhere I just don't think I fit in it. And when I do some retouching, I do hair, skin, clothes, background... and I barely change the colours (unless asked).

So, where do I fit in? I don't know.

Maybe the way you hire or simply "adress" people is the wrong one. Not a criticism per se. Just my two cents (pence, for me).

Everybody wants the top of the cream for their images (even the crappy thumbnail catalog images have to but cut-out by "talented, expert 20 years experience in Photoshop" people these days). OTOH: many people think they're the top of the cream. Misunderstanding....

Un portfolio qui tue comme celui la, tu ne devrais pas avoir trop de problemes a trouver quelqu'un? non? Beau travail!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM

If I was on your place, I would first ask to retoucher to see their port first, many people these days I see go on changing things making the image look overdone and they don't realize how bad it is, retouching is not about changing things.
First have a look on their port if you think they are fit for what you are looking then send them your images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM

problem is many time on BEAUTY we work for the make up .. or the hair and correct thinks is important but change isn't possible.
Holly i see your retouch , but all are more chromatique than skin and hair work. Me i don't want from retoucher to change my color exposure but just improve my picture with out that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Explain that you want them to improve the skin and keep it real. You need to find a retoucher that has worked in some retouching houses and knows the ropes. Because they know what to do they wont be cheap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet01 View Post
You need to find a retoucher that has worked in some retouching houses and knows the ropes.
Why do you think retouchers who have worked in retouching houses are good.
I remember when I was working in a retouching house my portfolio was shit and now when I'm independent my work is lot better than before. Mostly in retouching houses we don't have freedom, it's more mechanical most of the time.
In my opinion working with professional photographers is better for a retoucher as we get to know they need and in every project we get to know new things and strategies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Where did you work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Beauty retouching, done properly, at the level you are looking for, takes a long hours, anywhere from 4-8hrs per image.That's if your workflow is streamlined. When only offering tfp or permission to use in port, you will only get either 1. people that are trying to get to the level you are looking for, or if you look hard enough you will find 1-2 really good retouchers that will retouch 1-2 images for you, the problem is time, good retouchers are busy retouching for paying clients, photographers want also minimum of 4-6 and even 8-10 images retouched, and they are also in a hurry to submit the images. So anyone making a living of retouching can't collaborate and make a living at the same time, unless they don't care spending 24hrs a day in front of your computer.
And one more thing, include a brief with your images, if you are not, you are letting the retoucher's vision take over yours.
Just my 2 cents =)

Last edited by studio7160; 06-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching