Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

3D in Photoshop - Can it be used for retouching?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM
3D in Photoshop - Can it be used for retouching?

Hi all,

Hi all,

I have been playing with PS Extended's (I have CS5) 3D capabilities, and I was wondering whether I could use it to create a relief map of a face (and how). Then I could theoretically "apply makeup" in a more realistic way than if I was just approaching the entire thing as a 2D image. Now, to be clear, I don't mean create a fully rendered 3D object hat I can rotate to put eyeshadow in hard to reach places. ;-)

I mean just something that I can overlay (invisible, maybe even with the same lighting as used in original image) and paint on such that, if I add contouring to a cheek bone, it will appear darker where there is already a shadow.

I think I could maybe get away with using a displacement filter, though I don't know whether I would be able to see the effects happen until I used the Distort filter after completing all the painting.

Any thoughts? This is still all in my head, so perhaps it doesn't even make sense to worry about having this kind of displacement effect, especially since when retouching we'll often add shadows where none exist currently (or at least greatly enhance).

Do you use the 3D functionality for any other retouching tasks?

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Re: 3D in Photoshop - Can it be used for retouchin

I do not use the 3D functions for any retouching, and I'm shameful to say that I do not really know how to use it (I used to use 3D studio MAX a lot in the past, so never saw the need for limited 3D in Photoshop)... :/

Your idea of airbrushing color onto an invisible overlayed 3D-model of the face makes perfect sense, but it would indeed require a decent 3D model of the face (or any face with the same proportions). I guess you could adapt and import such a 3D model, carefully light it and paint on a texture, but I believe this would be slower and harder than to work in 2D for this purpose. For more advanced use i believe proper 3D software would be a lot more useful.
Note: There is no way to easily generate a depth map from a single regular photo of a face (to use as a displacement map/3D model).

As for general retouching I have seen the 3D features used to help generate a realistic shadow from an object hitting geometry in the scene (it was a model placed in front of a wall, and a shadow was generated falling on the ground and the wall). So... perspective stuff... hmm... Anyone else got any ideas on how to use it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

It is an interesting concept; I have started to play with something along these lines as well as in trying to apply a contoured application of color correction to a subject.

Applying the facial contours as a displacement will induce the 3D effect to an extent; and though I have not finished experimenting, I think there may be something there to use.

I'm speculating here, but if a second displacement image containing shading/hues can be applied and have it "respect" the displacement values then it may be feasible to apply color in pseudo-true 3D.
...then again, I may be over-thinking this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM

For hundreds of years...oil, still life and portrait painters have created a system of principles, and rules of lighting, and concepts of shading and contouring, that they have applied to their 2D works on canvas, to make them look more 3D. The Masters were great at this!

Just taking a traditional/classical lighting and rendering course can be very helpful to a retoucher to know what these principles of shading are and how to use and employ them in retouching modern digital portraits. Some retouchers that have this classical side to them...often produce some amazing retouches because they follow the rules of correct light and shadow and their work looks gorgeous because of it. Im still casually working on understanding the rules they have discovered... to give depth to the rendering of 2D objects.

I have questioned a number of professional makeup artists who have given me some insight on how women apply makeup on the chin, cheeks, the apples, the temples, and the forehead to produce a more glamorous, contoured, and dramatic makeup look. They use darker shades of foundation to contour and sculpt the face in just the right places. They also use highlighting on the cheeks, under the eyes, down the center of the nose and on the forehead and chin as well.

It would be great to be able to generate a 3D model as you suggest that registers with the original properly, and then is able to duplicate the directionality and specularity and the hardness of the existing light to be able to calculate the shadows and blends for us to apply!!. That would be awesome!!

3d programs pretty much already do that with their mesh based 3d models and calculations. How to integrate that with Photoshop and retouching is a great pursuit.

Its a great going to enjoy following this thread and see if any concepts develop...that would be a pretty neat plugin if someone was able to develop one.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching