RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is there such a thing as FAST HIGH END RETOUCHING?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Re: Is there such a thing as FAST HIGH END RETOUCH

Hi Lamouzinga,

Im a bit late to this thread... but Id love to re-emphasize how important actions might be to doing High-end work quickly. Learning how to create your own retouch actions is a fairly simple task that you can begin to use after only about 20 minutes of reading the instructions.

In our case...over time we have been able to set up a single keystroke action to perform over 75 repetitive steps that we might do on any high-end image. Our entire retouch workflow has been automated and reduced to a 1 keystroke action (F2). It does all the setups, copies, layers, adjustments, and keystrokes for us...and we just pick out which steps we choose to use on an individual image. We might not use every step pre-created for us on an image...but if we needed to do a paint with light adjustment on an image...3 paint with light layers have already been made up for us up ahead of time by the action and are pre-labeled and ready to be used at will...sometimes we just use one as needed...sometimes we need to use all 3.

We also make up actions for the most used steps like make new layer, put a curve on it, pull up the curve to create light, and then put an inverted black mask on the layer and give us a small soft white brush. That action is F5 for us. An action like that takes twenty repetitive key strokes and the action does all the steps automatically for us in less than 2 seconds. This is where we see the time savings. What if I had to do that action 5 times per image...times 20 images. Thats 2000 keystrokes we saved.

We put a strip of thin cardboard on our keyboard... with wording on it... as a reminder of what that special action does...so you can just look up and see that F8 is make "New Layer"

Wish you the best of luck.

Most retouchers are those that appreciate beauty but are highly detailed and have the patience to work hours on an image...but when the clock is ticking...things change. For us...actions made the speed difference we needed...and allowed us to do complicated or repetitive steps as quick as ever... while retaining high-quality and creativity.

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 07-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM

after a long time i'm uploading my work just see total time 1hr for finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final samp.jpg (66.4 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbunty View Post
after a long time i'm uploading my work just see total time 1hr for finish.
Can you tell us what your speedy method is?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM

sure my friend i'm uploading PSD soon
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Portraiture is my friend for when I want speed and good results. When I'm doing beauty, I still like to use portraiture dialed way back, and then do the D&B and frequency separation after that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Can you tell us what your speedy method is?
I didn't wanted to offense anyone by my words but

Guess what, I won't call this skin retouch a speedy method as I see nothing so great that cannot be done in 1 hour in this. If we have regular practice of d&b doing this image is 1 hour is not a great deal, I think it took the retoucher long to do this :P

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM

I know I'm super late on all of this....but I've watched a lot of different professional dvd's and read books and studied the work of high profile retouchers...and the bottom line is that if you want work that looks like it's going to go in the magazines, it's going to take TIME. There's no shortcuts or ways around it.

I'm just a student so I'm no "expert" yet by any means, but I've learned enough to know that the less time you cut down on an image, the lower the quality of the retouching will be. Sure, if you're doing weddings and model portfolios it doesn't have to be photoshopped to Beauty image standards, however to create a beautiful next to perfect retouched image, you have to make it look natural...and that's where the time comes in. To make something look "perfected" or "retouched" yet still remain "natural" takes time and finesse, as well of course of having the natural eye for it.

Just my two cents I suppose.

Last edited by sweetsurndr; 08-16-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM

That's right... Fast retouch, Yes... Fast Hi End, No...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
That's right... Fast retouch, Yes... Fast Hi End, No...
lol that's true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM

I do a lot of model portfolio work and editing 10 shots from one shoot is my norm. I spend about 40-50 mins per image.

Now, before people start saying that there is no way a high end retouch can be achieved in that time, I have to say that the retouch is not high end and would not be suitable for a magazine campaign (for some reason Louis Vuitton hasn't come knocking on my door yet!), however I get very positive comments from professional models who need images suitable for printing at 10x12.

Here is what I tend to do;

I always use a good makeup artist and ensure that the lighting is good - this saves a lot of time in post.

Clean up skin using healing brush and patch tool.
Clone on low opacity and lighten mode to lift shadows under eyes and to clean up blood vessels in eyes.
Curves adjustment to whites of eyes
Separate curves adjustment to iris to increase contrast
Dodge and burn for macro sculpting of face, and to enhance highlights on face and hair. Also D&B to reduce any distracting shadows.

Thats it

I rarely use IHP.

Adam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching