RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Quick Degrunge Technique Action

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quick Degrunge Technique Action

I have been trying for the last hour to make an PS action based off the Quick Degrunge Technique. I need to just run it and paint.

I can't seem to follow the tutorial for some odd reason and was hoping someone had actionized it, and wouldn't mind placing it for Download or emailing it to me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM

Re: Quick Degrunge Technique Action

Hi Jv: Although the action can be created, you'll need to do the settings every time you activate it, because it is not a magical formula. Every image needs it's own settings, so I guess it is easier to create it on the fly...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks and while I understand that why couldn't all the create layers/ invert, add white mask etc be done in an action?

The only settings that change are the radius and amounts right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvLacy View Post
Thanks and while I understand that why couldn't all the create layers/ invert, add white mask etc be done in an action?

The only settings that change are the radius and amounts right?
That's right, because not all images are equal. You'll need to change the settings depending on the image, some need high numbers, some need lower values... So, it is better to create the layers while you work on the specific image. If you scroll down in this tutorial page, you'll see a very quick way to do it, I guess having an action for this, doesn't make a big difference...

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks, yes that was the quick way I was going to try and make an action for it. I don't understand that tutorial at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM

See if the attached action is close enough or at least gives you some ideas.

It allows one to determine the initial G Blur radius (without applying it via an "undo" step in the action), then one can manually enter radius values as needed in the following High Pass and G Blur steps.

I believe one could use 'Smart Filters' on separate layers for more post action flexibility, but I have to leave... maybe version 2.0.

Let me know what you think. I like tinkering with actions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UTL Degrunge byRo.zip (1.4 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Hi Danny and thank you. I Love tinkering with actions too.

Here is something I tried to write. It splits the frequencies and uses surface blur. But I have no clue if any of it is right. Please check it and make changes, suggestions.

I'm not a guy that works on an image even for 15 minutes. I need to open the image run an action, paint the skin, save, close it and go on to the next. Close is good enough for the work I do. If it's too complicated or fidly, I won't use it.

There is no question that split frequency makes sense but rather daunting for someone who is new to it. The tutorials I found out there were not always the easiest to understand and I found myself reading between the lines. Click and paint is all I need for now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SkinPainterV1.zip (798 Bytes, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvLacy View Post
Hi Danny and thank you. I Love tinkering with actions too.

Here is something I tried to write. It splits the frequencies and uses surface blur. But I have no clue if any of it is right. Please check it and make changes, suggestions.

I'm not a guy that works on an image even for 15 minutes. I need to open the image run an action, paint the skin, save, close it and go on to the next. Close is good enough for the work I do. If it's too complicated or fidly, I won't use it.

There is no question that split frequency makes sense but rather daunting for someone who is new to it. The tutorials I found out there were not always the easiest to understand and I found myself reading between the lines. Click and paint is all I need for now.
Regarding the ins/outs and complete understanding of the underlying concepts of split frequency, my eyes crossed a bit while trying to absorb the details. A little deep for me.

re: action you wrote
Like it a lot; much better results than I was able to get and much less fiddling around.

Thanks for sharing your handiwork. I picked up a little PS knowledge (via how you used Apply Image) as a result. It's all good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Yep, I'm not much on fiddly either but still not convinced it's right and also we should add a D&S function to that action to finish it off.

I tried to add that but gave up. I could not paint on the low freq layer even if I duped the layer and made a new mask.

Here is my D&S painter. It's old school as it adds grain back at the end. Maybe someone will come along and combine the two and post it back.

The only other thing we would need is to select the high layer and the healing brush. If all that doesn't' make her look better, we need another model.
Attached Files
File Type: zip D&S_Painter_V1.zip (753 Bytes, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Check these actions out Frequency separation/ Inverted High Pass and more:
http://www.thebeautyoflight.com/uploads/jelactions.zip
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching