RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Does this retouching looks unnatural?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Re: Does this retouching looks unnatural?

I wouldn't totally stay away from the clone stamp. Zits, stray hairs, and really tiny blemishes can be removed in this manner. Obviously I can't see all the detail in these relatively small images. If you zoom out on the before to where you can see all of it, take note of the things you don't like. On a separate layer make some annotations to indicate what is bothering you during this period of examination. I'd start off with the heavy lifting. Anything major, time consuming, or difficult should be done first. Take a short break after this and look over the image when you return to ensure it's not overdone. If it is fix whatever is overdone at that point. If it's feeling pretty good, make sure you take care of any zits or whatever, and start on the small DB work. Zoom out to examine your work frequently to ensure that it's smooth and that you aren't overdoing anything. Unless you have a specific look in mind for the work it's best to leave it slightly less retouched than overdo the work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by women'sdesk View Post
Don't show anything to the client lol!! If you send the same work again that they don't want they will think your'e annoying and arrogant, haha!! which obviously you're not, because you seem very self aware and eager to learn on here. Maybe just stay away from stamp and healing tools etc until you have mastered d&b. Can i just make sure you are also dodging and burning with curve layers and not dodge tool etc? Because i know it sounds like a stupid question but even Amy Dresser used to do it that way not so long ago... If you want to do more dramatic stuff with the rest of the photo, retouch in raw switching between lightroom and ps. Have a look at piet van den eynde's black and white stuff and maybe buy some books or a tutorial.
I do D&B curves or grey layer but most curves.No actual DnB tool. I normally tend to keep skin quiet realistic(look at the link on my profile ) but this work went of f the rails somehow. Just wondering if other retouchers experienced same thing at some point of they carer. Those two photos were test pics. Bad quality of jpeg B&W conversion. I had very little to start with.
I think there is rental of Piet Van den Eynde at retouchpro. He is great.
Regarding stamp and healing tools they are the part of skin correction. Surely done on the split layer.
Thanks you for the tips
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I wouldn't totally stay away from the clone stamp. Zits, stray hairs, and really tiny blemishes can be removed in this manner. Obviously I can't see all the detail in these relatively small images. If you zoom out on the before to where you can see all of it, take note of the things you don't like. On a separate layer make some annotations to indicate what is bothering you during this period of examination. I'd start off with the heavy lifting. Anything major, time consuming, or difficult should be done first. Take a short break after this and look over the image when you return to ensure it's not overdone. If it is fix whatever is overdone at that point. If it's feeling pretty good, make sure you take care of any zits or whatever, and start on the small DB work. Zoom out to examine your work frequently to ensure that it's smooth and that you aren't overdoing anything. Unless you have a specific look in mind for the work it's best to leave it slightly less retouched than overdo the work.
Hi kav,

My normal workflow starts with some major changes to composition and color correction. In the ACR. Then split and skin correction, lips eyes etc. Then D&B. After that I look at the image make notes and add or take off what is necessarily kind of final touches. But doing this photo I was to much obsessed with D&B by my retrospective. That's were I have probably lost the picture of entire work.
Resuming your last sentence less is more. You can always come back and add don't you?!
Thanks kav
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM

No problem man. Fyi the split layer is basically pointless unless you need to rebuild texture. It does produce very clean textures and sometimes I can use an extraction for an area I'm rebuilding. The healing brush really isn't that great. I hated it in photoshop 7 because ram and processor power were an issue then. I hate it now because it's more disruptive. The clone tool is ok for tiny stuff because I can use lighten/darken modes and work really small if it's something that I wish to completely obliterate (usually acne and tiny hairs).

I'd say get the eyes, hair, contrast and lighting the way you like them right away. With the dodge /burn layers set snapshots as you go. Be critical of if something starts to look overdone. There are plenty of overdone ads and magazine covers out today, but that doesn't mean you should strive for this. Her forehead looks a bit lacking in texture or shape in the pre dodge and burn version. Was this the effect of the cloning/healing brush or is she just wearing heavy makeup? It could be a camera thing with bad red channel detail too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM

here is an example of a crappy jpeg I pulled from the internet, I had to retouch this for editors in my city: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5...eforrachel.jpg this jpeg was just a tiny scanned tearout, so not the best retouching example. Notice I didn't fix the skin at all. It is already blown out for high contrast b&w, it is also already flattened as a two dimensional image... The photo is flattened further in b&w and because it is just a low res jpeg. If you use the stamp tool over the top of an image like this, you are flattening it further by repeating the same patterns over the skin rather than restoring what is already there. Even though i didn't fix the skin, it has lost a lot of detail and the tearout looks blurry and a little bit fake. Until you've mastered D&B stay away from heal, clone and split techniques etc. If you are becoming visually desensitized simply ask someone else to be your eyes or spend time away from the photo before sending it to clients. Good luck!! xo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
here is an example of a crappy jpeg I pulled from the internet, I had to retouch this for editors in my city: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5...eforrachel.jpg this jpeg was just a tiny scanned tearout, so not the best retouching example. Notice I didn't fix the skin at all. It is already blown out for high contrast b&w, it is also already flattened as a two dimensional image... The photo is flattened further in b&w and because it is just a low res jpeg. If you use the stamp tool over the top of an image like this, you are flattening it further by repeating the same patterns over the skin rather than restoring what is already there. Even though i didn't fix the skin, it has lost a lot of detail and the tearout looks blurry and a little bit fake. Until you've mastered D&B stay away from heal, clone and split techniques etc. If you are becoming visually desensitized simply ask someone else to be your eyes or spend time away from the photo before sending it to clients. Good luck!! xo
thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
No problem man. Fyi the split layer is basically pointless unless you need to rebuild texture. It does produce very clean textures and sometimes I can use an extraction for an area I'm rebuilding. The healing brush really isn't that great. I hated it in photoshop 7 because ram and processor power were an issue then. I hate it now because it's more disruptive. The clone tool is ok for tiny stuff because I can use lighten/darken modes and work really small if it's something that I wish to completely obliterate (usually acne and tiny hairs).

I'd say get the eyes, hair, contrast and lighting the way you like them right away. With the dodge /burn layers set snapshots as you go. Be critical of if something starts to look overdone. There are plenty of overdone ads and magazine covers out today, but that doesn't mean you should strive for this. Her forehead looks a bit lacking in texture or shape in the pre dodge and burn version. Was this the effect of the cloning/healing brush or is she just wearing heavy makeup? It could be a camera thing with bad red channel detail too.
this is original. not much texture there on forehead i would say. i think i did very little healing on forehead to be left for d&b.
http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...92835196-1.jpg
see what you think of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM

You're welcome Nebulaoperator, I'm taking that image down now that you've seen it. Good luck with your work! xo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You're welcome Nebulaoperator, I'm taking that image down now that you've seen it. Good luck with your work! xo
Thank you for input . I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching