RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Does this retouching looks unnatural?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 PM

Does this retouching looks unnatural?

Hello everyone,

Recently I had a chance to work on the test image client paid me for it too. Image came as B&W with lots of artifacts and plenty of lost detail especially in the shadow area.JPEG. I could hardly find any remains of texture just a random pixel representing it. Nevertheless I gave my shot. I almost avoided doing any hair as I had time limit and practically no detail in the hair in particular left side. Anyway clients response was : it is not the style of B&W I am after further commenting that he is after the natural look Here I got smile in my face. Does it really looks so unnatural? Thanks
link to larger file: http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1312135073
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fel100k.jpg (70.0 KB, 268 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Re: Does this retouching looks unnatural?

Leave the image- go away - come back after looking at real people -look at the image again - yes it looks fake
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 01:22 PM

You made me smile I suppose I overdone DnB?

Edit: for know I wait for a day or two and come back later to see image in a different perspective.
Meanwhile I would appreciate constrictive critique. I am really ,,blind,, at the moment. I sense that something is not right.too plastic, image looks flat.The other thing I am not sure if I did right lighting for the linen.
Thank you

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 07-31-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
I sense that something is not right.too plastic, image looks flat.The other thing I am not sure if I did right lighting for the linen.
Thank you
He said is not the style he is looking for - I usually ask for references before starting any job.

The problem is with the retouch you removed the shadows in the cheek - that shadow gave the image depth

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
He said is not the style he is looking for - I usually ask for references before starting any job.

The problem is with the retouch you removed the shadows in the cheek - that shadow gave the image depth

x
My attempt was contouring. I found cheek too low but what i did eventually flattened it. Now i miss some contrast too. Thank you Nat
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

It's pretty simple the photo looked blurred in the face and overall a bit flat. There was a missed opportunity to enhance the rest of the photo with dramatic lighting, shadows and contrast. Could have done about 90% of this in lightroom, then just enhanced the face subtly in PS and sent it off!! Did you really dodge and burn or did you do something weird with frequency separation? I don't understand how it got that blurry, I know that it can get a little shiny and soft looking with d&b but that was outright blurry lol!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM

I did a split but treated skin carefully.This is how it looked before D&B. http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...dgeandburn.jpg
This one sample is done with: split treatment the stamp layer. Then stamp layer got on the final one(blurry/plasticy) used fx blending. What i found difficult right from the start that image did not have defined highlights mid tones and shadows. all looked very dull to me and i struggled to enhance lights, mid tones and shadows in the face.
http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...ct2blendif.jpg

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 08-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM

On your first post it is over-done (it can be easy to go "retouch-blind" while working on it). I tend to overdo things myself but they always turn out alright when I dial them back to something like 50% (turning things on/off is useful, as well as a little break from the image).

The last image you posted (previous post) looks a lot better than the first (in original post). The highlights don't seem that overdone/fake/plastic-like.
I would show this to the client. Perhaps you can also get him to provide some examples/references of the "natural" look he is thinking of.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
On your first post it is over-done (it can be easy to go "retouch-blind" while working on it). I tend to overdo things myself but they always turn out alright when I dial them back to something like 50% (turning things on/off is useful, as well as a little break from the image).

The last image you posted (previous post) looks a lot better than the first (in original post). The highlights don't seem that overdone/fake/plastic-like.
I would show this to the client. Perhaps you can also get him to provide some examples/references of the "natural" look he is thinking of.
hi Chain,

I can't believe it I overdone it to a such level. I think spent too much time staring at it
Client did provide me reference here it is.
I found lighting on reference photo much better while on my image it's all soft and hardly defined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample_monica reference.jpg (95.8 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Don't show anything to the client lol!! If you send the same work again that they don't want they will think your'e annoying and arrogant, haha!! which obviously you're not, because you seem very self aware and eager to learn on here. Maybe just stay away from stamp and healing tools etc until you have mastered d&b. Can i just make sure you are also dodging and burning with curve layers and not dodge tool etc? Because i know it sounds like a stupid question but even Amy Dresser used to do it that way not so long ago... If you want to do more dramatic stuff with the rest of the photo, retouch in raw switching between lightroom and ps. Have a look at piet van den eynde's black and white stuff and maybe buy some books or a tutorial.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching