RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High End Large file retouching

Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Re: High End Large file retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Sorry but this is clueless. No one in their right mind spends 4 hours primarily on cloning and healing. Even if it was a hair ad and the hair stylist fried it so you were having to go in and remove a thousand little cross hairs along with bits of facial hair, you would not spend 4 hours cloning. If you consider your work high end you wouldn't touch the healing brush because it can profoundly displace the texture.
I said 4 hours would include: raw conversion, cloning/healing and color work.

I use the healing brush, so therefore my work is not high end? Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
If you consider your work high end you wouldn't touch the healing brush because it can profoundly displace the texture.
Tell Godmother that...........
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I said 4 hours would include: raw conversion, cloning/healing and color work.

I use the healing brush, so therefore my work is not high end? Thanks for the heads up.
Stop making my statements into something completely one dimensional. Your work could be amazing but it still does displace texture which is why I don't really care for it. The OP just wasn't used to seeing what sounds like it was probably a digital back file. You can look at the site he linked for reference. None of that should take 4 hours especially just to the point you referenced. Raw processing shouldn't take terribly long even if you're using masking there. Color work might take a little while but not hours for a first pass. If you're having to remove just tons of cross hairs, flyaways, and peach fuzz that could take a while but still not sure about 4 hours on that stage, and the image would have to be in bad shape.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydM View Post
Tell Godmother that...........
That really doesn't mean it adds anything to the discussion. I never said good work was divided along the lines of a single tool. It really isn't easy to control, and if you toggle a layer with heavy healing brush use on an extremely on an image with extremely pronounced texture, you will see the effects I just mentioned. It isn't something you can just tap with either. You have to fully encompass whatever blemish in one stroke so it won't create any really weird behavior.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Stop making my statements into something completely one dimensional. Your work could be amazing but it still does displace texture which is why I don't really care for it. The OP just wasn't used to seeing what sounds like it was probably a digital back file. You can look at the site he linked for reference. None of that should take 4 hours especially just to the point you referenced. Raw processing shouldn't take terribly long even if you're using masking there. Color work might take a little while but not hours for a first pass. If you're having to remove just tons of cross hairs, flyaways, and peach fuzz that could take a while but still not sure about 4 hours on that stage, and the image would have to be in bad shape.
Dude did the healing brush do something to you when you were younger? You seem almost angry at the suggestion of it's use!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
If you consider your work high end you wouldn't touch the healing brush because it can profoundly displace the texture.
Wouldn't touch the healing brush - strongly disagree, I prefer it over the clone tool.
it can when is not used right - I agree

Quote:
It really isn't easy to control
It's a matter of opinion.

http://nataliataffarel.tumblr.com/po...ng-and-cloning
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Dude....... Hope you're having a better day today
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Dude....... Hope you're having a better day today
Bad week/dislike being misinterpreted. Let me ask something more constructive. What's your approach like for something like this beyond just raw/color/clone or healing work?

The problem I have with too much copying is you end up creating more work needed just to smooth out that layer of work. It just becomes harder and harder to maintain a natural feel to it especially with highly pronounced textures. This is a problem with both of those tools. I do rebuild skin texture at times. I added a few extra shortcuts to help facilitate this.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching