RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Does this retouch look natural?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Re: Does this retouch look natural?

Thank you everyone with your inputs. From the comments here, it is uniformly agreed that the highlights on the face are a bit too much on both images. I totally agree and will make the changes. It is also a good idea to bring back some of the skin features such as moles etc...
The skin seems to look a bit smooth because it is a low resolution image. At 100%, you can see all of the skin texture.

Thank You all again
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Hello!

Since you also photographed this image i think i can give you some input on the photography. Personally i think it is extremely flat, i guess you did this deliberately but if you did, at least leave some more of the catchlights in the eyes. I think right now the image looks to dull and life-less.

To me the image looks as if it is not in balance, right now i'm talking about the retouched version. Indeed the teeth should never be as white as the eyes but i think there is too much difference between both. You either should lighten the teeth or darken the eyes, this would bring in some more balance. Photography-wise i can't really read the image but well i can't tell whether you shot this image as a photographer who likes retouching or a retoucher who likes photography...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM

I think both photos look very nice. Who's the photographer btw?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergy Manko View Post
I think both look very nice. Who's the photographer btw?
Sergy, thanks for your compliments. I am the photographer. I do mostly photography but love retouching my own images. One can lose perpective on it's own work if he/she does not get constructive feedback from other professionals in the field, hence the posting
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Sergy, thanks for your compliments. I am the photographer. I do mostly photography but love retouching my own images. One can lose perpective on it's own work if he/she does not get constructive feedback from other professionals in the field, hence the posting
Well those are great photos.. very impressive... photos like that make retouching easy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM

I can tell from zooming in a bit that there is still plenty of low-frequency detail in the skin, but from a standard zoom it still looks a bit plastic-like. I think you may have inadvertently killed too much mid-frequency data, which results in the somewhat flat look. Texture is dependent on viewing size, so even if you have a ton of low-frequency detail at 100% zoom, if you're working with a high-res image, you still need to zoom out and pay attention to mid and low frequency as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM

You're thinking about this in the wrong way here.

Before image has minor skin roughness + acne right? Overall it doesn't have a huge amount of contrast or shape. Rather than trying to analyze preservation at different frequencies, take it in for what it is. I'd personally clear up those first. The after actually missed a couple although you got most of these. Minor acne and spots and stuff can be really distracting. I'd save a version off once those are done and checked. This stage is crucial because it gives you a good canvas for the later work.

Beyond that what I see has happened is that you've taken an image which was already lacking on transitions and shape, and made this worse. It happens (I've done it too). The way it looks toward the upper bridge of the nose has a smeared kind of look to it. On the forehead the transitions are totally messed up. The color is all over the place on both. After dealing with the little blemishes/any necessary rebuilding, I'd look at the color or add in a layer that desaturates considerably just for viewing so as to make the weird hue transitions less noticeable when you're playing with the shading. Either one works. Something needs to be done with the eyes and maybe the lashes (and not that ridiculously upturned lash look that I've seen across the internet but they are a little droopy and uneven). The brows need some work. The undereyes could use some work including color balancing but you can't just do it in one swoop. It needs the same kind of transition where it gets significantly deeper at certain parts, but just "slightly" less than it is now. The forehead needs some shaping so that it doesn't feel like bad blotchy makeup.

Now here's something more important, no matter how much of the DB/split frequency/ other strategic stuff you read on here, the vast majority is complete crap and going from image to image is not as simple as that. Your goal isn't to maintain certain frequencies of detail. It's to eliminate only the things that are taking away from the image while leaving everything else regardless of its perceived frequency. It's just not the kind of thing you can examine globally like you're analyzing an mtf chart or something (by the way manufacturers lie on those too).

I took a look at some of the other images there. I think you'd gain something from the workflow I just mentioned. It's like weird distractions in an image are bringing down the potential of your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 AM

Congratulation on both of the retouches you have posted. They are excellent.
But you have made a BIG mistake, which is to elicit criticism, for criticism's sake. You will always get what you ask for when you do this, and once people start on a mission of nitpicking and pulling your work apart, they just can't stop. It is surprising to read some of the above, and I am seriously asking myself whether they are looking at the same posted images as I am. I almost totally disagree with everything which has been said. I like the highlight balance; the skin retouch; the natural, light feel; the gentle low-contrast look; the treatment of detail....in fact, virtually everything.
You need to be highly critical of your work to achieve such high standards - and you evidently are. But you should exercise better judgement in who you go to for advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
Congratulation on both of the retouches you have posted. They are excellent.
But you have made a BIG mistake, which is to elicit criticism, for criticism's sake. You will always get what you ask for when you do this, and once people start on a mission of nitpicking and pulling your work apart, they just can't stop. It is surprising to read some of the above, and I am seriously asking myself whether they are looking at the same posted images as I am. I almost totally disagree with everything which has been said. I like the highlight balance; the skin retouch; the natural, light feel; the gentle low-contrast look; the treatment of detail....in fact, virtually everything.
You need to be highly critical of your work to achieve such high standards - and you evidently are. But you should exercise better judgement in who you go to for advice.
I definitely agree with this.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching