Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retro, Vintage and style alike... How?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Newbie Retro, Vintage and style alike... How?

The vintage style pp is one of the parts of our pp life anyway, isn't it?
There are different ways of doing that to meet all kinds of tastes.

I personally like the way this guy processes his stories:

Are there any ideas as to how the toning and contrast like this can be achieved?
I am not interested in textures here. I really love the colour tones.

Will highly appreciate any hints!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Re: Retro, Vintage and style alike... How?

it is sad no hint given by anybody...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Re: Retro, Vintage and style alike... How?

hi sam,
give the guy and gals a chance... they got day jobs they'll come on when they can...

now i am just a novice but i'll break the ice .... and there probably a lot better ways to do it..... than my suggesion but i'll try...

on the first one ...
to me...
1. they added a color filled layer with that yellowish color .. and adjusted the layer opacity and went with a soft light blending mode ...

2 . now at this point everything is even with that color tone however you notice the bottom doesn't have that or rather it very weak...

3. probably they add a white layer mask .... and possibly added a black white gradient to the mask ... that way you get that gradual change from from mostly green to where things have yellowish tint to it..

4. now you notice also there in the image seems like some of the clouds don't have tint and there in the middle the grass seem greener.. well i think all they did was just take a black brush on the mask and paint that would hide the tint and allow the green to show thru better and the same with some of the clouds.. hide the tint and allowit natural color to show thru ..

to me those are the basics thing i see there maybe other steps involved... don't have the orginal to look at...

the 3rd image.. basically again color filled layer, soft light blending and adjust the opacity maybe even adding a a little bit guassian blur to soften .....
note: that image reminds me of the old poloroid color effects... and there ps tutorials on different ways to do that....

the 2nd image i left to last... because not quite sure how to go about it... a lot of things going on in that image... these are my thought and again the pro i think would have better thoughts...
first it a composite ..
i think they initally setup the ground (the grass the hill and trees ... and adjust the color and maybe a little guassian blur added ...

they also ithink added the sky seperatly
they might have added a color fill layer with a very light color .. again soft light

i also see what appears they add a fog effect to not just the trees there on the right but alittle a little bit on the rest of the grass .. they may added a mask to control how much fog intensity and where it shows ...

again tutorials on aging photo's , vintage photos , etc... abound on the net probably a good idea to look at some of those. ...

i hope it helps alittle...... now i'll just wait and see see the better suggest the pros come up with... smiling...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching