RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High Exposure - colour correct with detail.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Patron

Re: High Exposure - colour correct with detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister110 View Post
Thanks for all the tips. It's being a bit problematic as the photographer has allowed too much light into the image which has totally blown any highlights. I have about 10 more images all with the same exposure settings which are pretty difficult to achieve good results.

When shooting in the day with extreme light, would you increase the shutter speed?

Thanks again for all your help..
Increasing the shutter speed will not necessarily solve your problem. because each scene will be slightly different. It might be more efficient to change the camera's metering setting (matrix, center weighted, or spot). Or if the camera has a tendency to over expose all the time, you can change the exposure bias (-1/3, -2/3, -1 ev). However, all that being said, it is important to note that a camera's sensor can only capture a limited dynamic range. In daylight, where the scenes are very high contrast, the sensors are not able to capture the dynamic range - not even the most expensive cameras. Some part of the scene is either too dark or too light. Your best solution for these high contrast scenes is to take multiple bracketed shots and combine them later using s/w on your computer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM

what is wrong with this result?

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/p3r10/myfile.jpg

It appears quite natural from what i can see. I obviously wasn't there to see what you actually could see. To be honest, I don't mind that you overexposed the image; you actually made it a better file by doing so, the reason I say this is that the image that has less noise particularly in the shadows. Nearly most if not all the detail is there in the image, it doesn't appear to be overexposed by a lot.

Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Too pale, it looks flat... No life. Looks boring. As I said before the photo doesn't have a sky, it looks like a roof of the mall... This pic is perfect to give it a DH look, or at least in that style...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Good to see that we disagree, on something.

If you actually have a look at the image, it is a improvement on what was taken. I am happy to provide a link to a high res version so you can view it easier. The contrast is increased, the overall dynamic range has been extended, the colours appear more vibrant and true to what was most likely seen by our eyes (rather then what is depicted by our camera).
I don't know about you, but wouldn't you prefer an image that reflects what you see? Which represents the scene, and not some special effect, that you've spent 'wanging' on photoshop to achieve?

And yes I do agree with you, it doesn't have a sky.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Good to know we can agree to disagree... First of all, my opinion of the photo was not from your result. If you check my first post above (earlier than yours) I wrote the same thing, just answering lister's question, because he/she was having problems precisely trying to add some life to the photo and/or boost the contrast and colors. There's no use in posting this photo if you are not going to process it in Photoshop. If you saw the version I uploaded, adding the sky made a heck of a difference there... I just added the sky, no further retouch. Everyone is entitled to its own opinion, and I respect yours.
Mine is, that the photo needs more punch (and a sky) because it adds DOF to it... but that's me...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching