Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Trouble with product photo retouch

Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Trouble with product photo retouch

I've been asked to retouch this image for an online sales catalogue. The brief being to remove the background from the sink and replace it with a plain one, but the only times I've done anything like that is with portraits where the background is already almost the same colour.

For the most part I've used the polygonal lasso tool with a bit of the eraser tool. It's been difficult as the original is quite low resolution, and the areas I'm having most trouble with are the bracket holding the sink and the lower right corner of the sink itself.

I've added a gradient for the background, trying to match the 'light source' with that of the original bg. I want to add shadows (including the slight shadow at the back of the sink in the original image) so it looks like it's actually attached to a wall, but so far have no idea how, I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers or point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Also, I've got no idea how much to charge for this kind of work. I was thinking I'd charge a bit below whatever's standard as I'm just starting out in this kind of thing and it would be good to secure future work with them.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this, as although I'm reletively experienced in portrait retouching, this kind of thing is totally new to me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sink original.jpg (45.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg sink-basic-rtouch.jpg (37.2 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Re: Trouble with product photo retouch

If it is important to be realistic, and you have a camera, you could shoot a white wall at the same angle/lighting and place the sink on that. Otherwise, the client probably is just trying to show the product without any distractions. If I were working on it, I would use a curves adjustment and shadows/highlights to brighten the shadows up and make the product pop. The mask looks a little messy too on the bottom corner of the sink. For something like this, you should use the pen tool to give the product clean edges. This should only take a minute to mask out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: Trouble with product photo retouch

Thanks for the advice. I've had a look at some other items on the client's website, and there are a couple of items which have been shot on seamless paper and from the brief I understand that what is wanted is a gradient with shadows to look like seamless paper.

I've had another try, using a better mask this time (the pen tool was exactly what I needed, thank you for the advice on that), adding a slight shadow to the parts which touch the wall and a shadow coming down from the sink on the right where the bracket is. I've also lightened the sink, removed the green colour cast on it and generally corrected all the mistakes I made as a result of using photoshop having only just woken up D:

Attached is the result which I'm a lot happier with, but I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Also I'm still not sure how much to charge for this kind of work - this was a sort of test, an example of the work he wants doing and I've said I'll get it back to him by tomorrow evening with a quote for how much I'd want for doing it. I was thinking of something like £10-15/hour - this picture would have taken 15-20mins had I not been experimenting with techniques, and I would be doing a few at a time in a batch as it were. Could really do with some advice on how to charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sink-try-2web.jpg (66.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by skeletiki; 08-20-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot attachemnt!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching