RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Perils of color correction.Share your thoughts.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 AM

Re: Perils of color correction.Share your thoughts

Can we use this method to match skin tone? For example, I colored a picture with a color code, I want my picture match with that color. How curves adjustment layer I have to play?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (83.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

The issue is, people long ago provided tutorials for correcting skin tones using an inappropriate scale (CMYK), it caught on and its time to move froward for a number of reasons. In the old days, the only data you’d get out of a scanner was CMYK, optimized to go to a specific press.

If you grew up with the Standard system, the metric system is damn difficult to use although the later makes oh so much more sense and would have been far easier to learn in the first place. Switching from a metric you know to one you should know ain’t easy.

All we are talking about here are numbers. Numbers other than lab alone do not tell us what a color looks like. There are numbers that represent the actual pixel values shown in a converter (and may be in a percentage or 0-255 scale). There are number that are represented in a device independent color model based on how we see colors and are absolute (Lab). There are numbers based on a color space we probably will never use (CMYK). In the end, use what you like but for those starting out to do this, I submit its almost criminal to point them towards using CMYK!

Lets look at numbers and teaching people to use them. Many old farts can only deal with 0-255, we had to figure it out in the old days, probably in Photoshop. Does it make sense? Yes, if you were brought up with it be in actuality, no. If you have a 16-bit file, you will still be working with this scale since the vastly larger numbers of the actual encoding will make your head explode using it for color correction. Then there are the percentages in LR. Initially people found this very difficult because they were taught 0-255. The percentage scale make more sense and is actually far easier to teach and easier for new people to learn. How is 255 equals white more logical to new users than 100% is white?

Lets take CMYK. Percentages again but a 0-255 encoding in Photoshop. Man, that doesn’t make sense. Why is the percentage of ink hitting a paper we probably will never witness make sense when the numbers encoded are still 0-255? Why do we jump different scales just because one is RGB and the other CMYK?

Calibrate and profile your display. Look at the images as pixels in context trump single values or even sampling of colors (a point that hasn’t as yet been raised and can profoundly affect the number report you get!). Use the numbers to back up what you see. Unless you are color blind, I’d never use numbers over what I see assuming I’m confident the display calibration and color management is sound. Start keeping images you know output as you desire, then view both the color appearance and the numbers using a logical scale and soon you’ll become comfortable with your editing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks for your thoughts and inputs Andrew.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Conclusions from these forums on ReTouchPro and other forums are that there is no common measurement format/color space among Lightroom, ACR, and Photoshop. Lightroom does not offer color samplers either.

I have submitted a change request to Adobe through the standard Photoshop_Family web page which allows others to add posts, comments, support etc. Andrew Rodney has also added his thoughts and support for changes through that thread. Others from NAPP and elsewhere have done the same. If you want to send the message to Adobe that you too are interested in parity in color sampling and measurement format/color space among its three applications Lightroom, ACR, and Photoshop here is the link to that thread: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...y_notification

I know it would help my productivity and if you use those applications I bet it would help you too. If enough want this type of change, it just may be given priority with Adobe. Just wanted to make the make your voice heard with Adobe if you want such a change

The thread is readable without signing in. If you want to leave a comment or note of support you sign in with your Adobe login (registration is free if you don't have one).

In the meantime, I plan to use workarounds.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching