RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Looking for Curves teaches

Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Looking for Curves teaches

Is there anything out there that teaches one just about curves? Not something that just touches base on them, but something just ALL about curves. I dont really understand them.

Thks you so much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Re: Looking for Curves teaches

Hi adtechniques

Here is a link to a 2 DVD set on just that topic. I have never viewed them myself so cannot vouch for them: http://kelbytraining.com/product/mas...p-cs5-2-discs/

Given all the various and wonderful (and many not so wonderful) ways to spend money in software/hardware/training in photography and retouching/restoration, I almost hesitate to suggest spending almost $90 on a couple DVDs that basically covers one Photoshop tool. The concept around curves is amazingly simple yet effectively using them let alone mastering them can be quite a feat (I am not there yet).

I personally opted to take the path to understand the basics of how they work and then learn techniques through online tutorials, books, and classes on Lynda.com. Basically picking up more as I go. That is a pretty slow process however and the DVDs are probably a much faster way to learn all about curves.

Hope that helps. Hopefully other members will jump in with additional advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Janitor

Curves aren't all that hard if you remember graphs from school. The x-axis (left-right) represents the image tones from 0-255. The y-axis (up-down) represents what you'd like the tones to be (again, from 0-255). If you graph the intersections of all the x (actual) and y (new) values, it makes a curve (although it could be a straight line, but that's still counted as a curve in this instance).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 PM

A thread I started where people could post their links

Stupid curve tricks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Thank all of you. Nasturtium has posted a very useful link. I will read it earlier
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 AM

You don’t need to spend money on DVD’s to learn curves. There are a huge number of free video’s on YouTube that will give you an idea of how they work, then just open up some images and give the dialog a try. Start here with Martin Evening:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...b64-766fa.html

There is a video link below, check that out too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 AM

I hope this is not too spamming...I teach advanced curves...So it seems to fit.

I use them every day and I teach others how to use them in ways you rarely hear about like: using advanced curves for getting perfect exposures everywhere in the image, to paint with curve based light and shadow to create full tonality in images, to use curves to change any color in an image, to paint non-destructively in an image so no image detail is lost, to produce playboy skin colors, to do flawless high-end digital makeup like lipstick, eye shadows, skin color and texture, eye colors, and hair. I also teach creating artistic images like HDR and Cross Processing using selective advanced curves as well.

There is a lot you can do with curves. The best thing is that they are transparent and you can selectively paint with them so that no image detail in the original is lost. They allow you to get flawless and controllable color control. They are absolutely incredible for doing HQ digital makeup.

The teaching I do is private and 1 on 1...so you would need to contact me via Private Message and we could set up something off-line if you like.

Glad to answer questions.

Cheers,

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, Ray12. I would love to attend your classes, but unfortunately I'm not in the USA. I will find information on RetouchPro. Hopefully if will have the opportunity to attend your classes. One more, thks you so much.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching