RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Obtaining Portraits For Retouch

Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Obtaining Portraits For Retouch

I'd like to do some freelance retouching, but currently I don't have any good quality portraits I could use without infringing on someone's copyright. Do any of you have a suggestion how I can find people to send me their portraits in exchange for a free service perhaps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Re: Obtaining Portraits For Retouch

SNed me an email to
garyhillphoto@aol.com
and I will send some RAW files, 22mb
Gary
www.gdhphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 AM

At ModelMayhem.Com there is a forum called digital retouching. They have a sub section in that forum called Samples where photographers will post free raw and hi-res images for retouchers to work with. There is some nice images there...but work with the photographers directions as each one may have different requirements for sharing the copyrights. Some are free...some require credits...some will trade you hi-res images for your retouching them.

Cheers

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 AM

I too am in need of quality photos to retouch for practice or portfolio. And I was told about MM's retouching forum, and that users there often share photos for this very purpose. Not to mention it's a great resource for networking and learning. So I signed up and created an account. The only issue is, if I understand correctly, MM requires you to submit 3 pieces of your work before they will activate your account and give you access to the forums and files therin - and they require the shots to be of a professional quality (they actually had to mention "no iPhone photos" lol) So, one is forced to obtain at least 3 good shots to retouch before MM is an option. Also noteworthy, they only allow you to submit this "application" 3 times before they delete your account. I already submitted once, and my images did not satisfy their criteria.

I've currently got 2 shots that I think will make the grade there, and am searching for a third to finally gain access to MM, as it is one of the best resources on the web for what we do.

However, I did just find editablephotos.com through another thread here, and see that they have a library of high res photos for personal use. They're not very good shots (IMHO), but when your budget is $0 and you need to practice, you've got to take what you can get!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 AM

There's this site called Public-Domain-Photos. They have a notice that says:
"You may use these images for any purpose, including commercial. But if some photo contains logos and products you need to be careful. Using someone else's trademark commercially can get you sued."

The 'People' section on this site:
http://www.public-domain-photos.com/people
Not exactly portraits, but there are some close-ups.

~ SarahJones
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 AM

Thanks, Sarah!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 AM

I looked at shutterstock, typed "beauty for retouching", and there are few useful professional pictures for retouching. Maybe you can try stock agencies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Why don't you try contacting a portrait studio in your area? Maybe they would let you use an image or two to see how you do. If your work is good enough maybe they might even pay you to do some more? Maybe they would shoot something for you if you provided the model? Especially if they might be able to use the images for their advertising. Dealing with people face to face might also give you the opportunity to also practice your selling skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM

There is a set of about 25 RAW files for aspiring retouchers to use in their portfolios available here http://digitalphotoshopretouching.co...for-retouchers
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching