RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How did you learn how to become a retoucher?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Question How did you learn how to become a retoucher?

I was wondering how you all did it, I see incredible things on here. Did you read books about Photoshop or retouching? Did you go to workshops? Did you go through a course?

I wish I could learn so much more but I don't know where to turn. I'm a photography student and while some things are taught I wonder how I can be one step ahead of everyone else?

How does one become a Retouching God?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Re: How did you learn how to become a retoucher?

Hi YR: Practice, practice practice and more practice... I'm not a master at it yet, but i'd say: reading, asking and watching are 3 important things in the learning path... Some people learn doing just this (as in my case) some prefer to go right ahead and study, (i mean Art school) or buy some books, and/or DVDs. This forum is a great place to hang out, and learn... What's your target? Beauty retouch, fashion, landscape, HDR etc ?

If you are interested in beauty and fashion retouch, there's only one way to do it right, and that is "hard work". Learn the Dodge and Burn technique (a tablet is a must for this one). Here in RP, you can find some Pro Retouchers that are nice people, you can ask them when in doubt... Search youtube videos of interest, depends on what you want to do... There are tons of tutorial on the net that can help... If you see something that catch your eye and you want to do it, you can start by uploading a sample, and ask how it's done or at least how to do something similar, then try to create something of your own.

Styles are just re-visits of techniques you learn in time... Some people prefer to go to school, some prefer to learn on their own... Try to follow the advice and works of the pros (not to imitate them, but to learn). Then be the best that you can be... Art has no limits and we can always keep learning... Hope this helps !!!

Note: I'm not a retouching g_d, but then again nobody is !
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Mainly beauty! But I suck at cleaning skin, getting rid of dark colour around eyes, nose etc... Don't even get me started on dodge and burn, everyone seems to find it obvious but I'm not sure where to dodge or burn, what the right spots are etc... And my Intuos, I can't get used to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

In short, the goal of dodge and burn is to even out the skin while retain texture... Maybe you need to create eye help layers... Visualize your image first, Try to figure where it looks dirty (so to speak) and apply dodging to those parts. Use a small brush (smaller than the area you are D or B) almost always images need more dodging than burning, i guess the bulk of the retouchers do the dodging first... (after spatial frequencies separation that is). Then the burning to match or even out... You can always create a second or third dodge and burn layers, if you think you'll need them...

Anyways, nobody gets great results at first, this technique takes a while to learn and apply, that's why it needs a lot of practice... If you keep practicing, you'll suck less and less... Even Pro retouchers sucked when they started to retouch. So patience and persistance are the keys here...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 03:53 AM

If you want to learn how to effectively dodge & burn, I'd suggest you read this article: http://photoshoparchives.blogspot.co...h-purpose.html

It shows how to set up the eye help layers Boneappetit is talking about as well as seeing which areas to dodge and which to burn depending on the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Great link Der W. Thanx for posting...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM

I've learned a bit in high school, a bit more in college and a WHOLE lot at work...basically for me it was the "on the job training" that got me the most experience. I learned other aspects of photoshop from doing online tutorials and some light reading to expand on what I already know.
Also, sharing knowledge helps too!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Thank you Herr W. I will have a look.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching