RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
ME_wwwing ME_wwwing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 105
Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

i have a perfect 128 across the image using the highest setting for Save As vs. Save for web.

thanks Andrew

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-22-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM
ME_wwwing ME_wwwing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 105
Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

i post for people to play with or view my BIG images. a lot of people have 24" screens. i want them to at least see an image without zooming in.
here's a few of my images.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9&changemode=1
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39401175
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39406722
if you look at any of the others i posted - warning they are way over cropped and will show not as sharp as the above.

if i were to post a fashion edit. i would not be posting web size images.
that's why most send you off page to VIEW a great edit. - or - they post a 100% small area crop.


>If we are talking about images to be displayed on web pages then file size does matter (load times and bandwidth matter online). If we stopped talking about optimizing images for web at some point, please say so.

i stated in my 1st post to downsize to web size 1st. i like mine at 1000 most of the time. they end up being 2 megs or less.
bandwidth is no problem unless i post 6 or 7 in 1 post.



>My comparison compared the image quality vs. file size for JPEG using save-for-web vs. save as at realistic settings. "Save for web" will always create smaller file sizes for the same image quality (or higher quality at the same file size). You can look up more details online if you want.

so your saving 30 kbs using Save for Web. i have cable and download 17 megs a min. 300 meg files in under 20 mins

wait i minute - i just read on in your post. 50Kbs!!!!!! ouch

i think you've been talking about viewing some rather small images.
i've been talking about VIEWING big images, images to enjoy looking at and people can edit them.

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-22-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 09-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Chain's Avatar
Chain Chain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 551
Thumbs down Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_wwwing View Post
i stated in my 1st post to downsize to web size 1st. i like mine at 1000 most of the time. they end up being 2 megs or less.
Whenever I've said "size" in my posts I have referred to file size of the compressed JPEG, not the number of pixels in the image.
The resolution of the images I've talked about have been anything intended to be viewed at 100 % size on a web page (so yes, already downsampled) – just like the images you posted.

We both agree that you get smaller file size, and just as good image quality (in your words actually identical), when using "save for web".
So what then was the advantage of "Save as" that made it better for web use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_wwwing View Post
so your saving 30 kbs using Save for Web. i have cable and download 17 megs a min. 300 meg files in under 20 mins

wait i minute - i just read on in your post. 50Kbs!!!!!! ouch
i stated in my 1st post to downsize to web size 1st. i like mine at 1000 most of the time. they end up being 2 megs or less.
I'm having trouble figuring out if you are trolling me or just ignorant...

The image used in my example was low resolution and was a smooth image of a car, that is why the image got such a small size. The point was that there is quite a difference in file size (50KB vs 70KB) at 100% quality – making save-for-web the better option.

The images you linked, like the vulture one, is ~850KB for 900x578 px. That is way too much for an image on a webpage. However now that you for the first time point out that the main purpose for the images is that others are supposed to download/save them and EDIT them, then the large file size might be justified. You might want to consider using Save-for-web and choosing PNG instead (for 8 bit images) – hell, the image would only take ~50% extra time to load – or simply uploading a reasonable sized image in the post and linking to the large version for download.

I believe people will be just viewing the images you posted and not using them as a basis for heavy editing/manipulation that would suffer due to JPEG artefacts (if so perhaps provide a link to a high resolution version?).
For viewing on a web page 850KB for an simple 900x578 image is WAY too much.

--

I will go load the page with your images now over a 3G connection. I will post again in this thread next year when it's done loading (unless the webpage exceeds it's bandwidth before that)...
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 AM
ME_wwwing ME_wwwing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 105
Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

>I'm having trouble figuring out if you are trolling me or just ignorant...

your missing my point and wanting to talk ABOUT what YOU WANT to post.
which is small images - for some web page.

i'm talking ABOUT actual SEEING an image AND how to get it sharp.


>The image used in my example was low resolution and was a smooth image of a car, that is why the image got such a small size. The point was that there is quite a difference in file size (50KB vs 70KB) at 100% quality – making save-for-web the better option.

bingo - "smooth image" AND i posted about SHARPENING for the web.
smooth sucks IMHO. i want big - sharp - images.



>However now that you for the first time point out that the main purpose for the images is that others are supposed to download/save them and EDIT them, then the large file size might be justified.


"might be justified" - he's offended even after he gets my point.
note - why do you think i posted about eyelashes in my 2nd post on this thread? do you think anyone here does fashion and post small images?



>You might want to consider using Save-for-web and choosing PNG instead (for 8 bit images) – hell, the image would only take ~50% extra time to load – or simply uploading a reasonable sized image in the post and linking to the large version for download.

you know whats funny - 8 bit PNG file size is HALF the size i post in jpeg! so where do you get an extra 50% upload time? why would i cut out the color profile when i want some people to work on them?




>I believe people will be just viewing the images you posted and not using them as a basis for heavy editing/manipulation that would suffer due to JPEG artefacts (if so perhaps provide a link to a high resolution version?).

now now. WHERE ARE the artifacts in the images i posted? please repost my images with circles around ARTIFACTS. - i can see a few areas where there is haloing and that is way i posted in this thread - ONE has to check after posting to the web -. that is why i said - use the Opacity to adjust sharpness -.

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-24-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM
ME_wwwing ME_wwwing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 105
Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

removed text

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-24-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plug-In: Best Sharpening Plug-ins AKMac Software 46 06-13-2011 05:08 PM
Split Frequency for Sharpening? cesdls Photo Retouching 10 05-10-2011 09:57 AM
Selective Sharpening graham_ Photo Retouching 3 04-27-2011 04:16 PM
Sharpening bonzo5988 Photo Retouching 9 10-14-2010 03:50 AM
Alpha/Beta Testers Needed for Sharpening Scripts gmitchel Photo Restoration 3 06-18-2005 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved