RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 AM

PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

working from a TIFF or PSD
down size for the web - 1000 on the long side. but its up to you.
DUP image
change Mode to Darken Color - run smart sharpen 80 to 110% at .8 on a - adjust Opacity until the dark color start to form a Dark Halo around the edges.
DUP this Layer and change Mode to Lighten Color - adjust Opacity until jaggies appear or a White Halo starts going bright white.
Stamp>Flatten>SaveAs jpeg12
saving for Jpeg is going to crush some of the sharpening.
recheck the image on the web - then adjust the sharpening and retest until your images are tack sharp.

big surprise is less artifacts

ps - use LENS from the pull down menu AND check - More Accurate

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 10-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 AM

Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

ps. great for eyelashes and eyebrow hairs. Mode Dark Color
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 AM

The last step; do not use "save as" when preparing for web, use "save for web".
You will get better file size/quality (and it will help you strip metadata).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM

thanks Chain, i'm looking for the highest IQ. SAVE AS worked best for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM

You should get better quality relative to file size using "Save for web".

What test did you conduct that ended up favouring Save As? When I test it I consistently get better quality/size using Save For Web (and that is indeed what is expected).

---

How much image quality you want mainly depends on the "Quality" slider (0-100% in save for web, 0-12 in Save As). The settings in the two save dialogues are not directly comparable (e.g. 50 % is not the same as "6") - you have to compress it so they end up with the same file size (compare the actual files, not the size estimates) and then compare the quality carefully (maxed out you will not see the quality loss, so use more realistic settings).

You should always check the "Optimized" option, and uncheck "Progressive". No Blur. I usually start on about 60 % quality for web, and work my way up or down as needed (usually up).

Note that PNG is also a great option, but not suited for photographs (unless you need it to be lossless).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM

removed post

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-22-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Post Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

The test you did must have been botched. Saving as JPEG will ALWAYS make you loose data, if you find 0 difference you have done something wrong. (And besides, did you just say that simply because you found NO quality loss but file size had shrunk you decided it was not good to use the small file? You would hate PNG then...).Note: It is unclear exactly what you did in your test.

If you save to JPEG the file will have quality loss. No matter what. But the data you have open will not be degraded. So make sure you close it before opening it up again to see what has been lost.

Make sure you have the same starting point for each image (because each incremental save to JPEG will loose more quality and change the file). And instead of "subract" I recommend you use "difference" to find the objective difference between two images.

In the Save for web dialogue you can choose to keep metadata if you want (and what you want to keep). Usually you do not need it (besides perhaps copyright info). If you haven't added any metadata to the image on purpose I would recommend throwing it all out when you prepare the image for web.
If colour accuracy is important (usually is), embed the colour profile.

--

Now, to do a proper comparison that is actually useful and does not discriminate due to metadata or color profile:

1. Prepare a test image that has perfectly sharp and in top quality. It should be in sRGB.
2. Choose Save As... Make sure "ICC profile" is checked. Pick a file name.
3. Choose a medium quality. Let's say "6", and Optimized.
4. Look at the file size in Explorer (Windows) or Finder (OS X).
5. Now use Save-for-web and the following settings:
* Optimized, Embed Color Profile, Blur 0, Metadata: All.
* Choose a quality that gives a file size (lower left corner) one step below the other file.
6. Compare the file size in Explorer (Windows) or Finder (OS X), and see if it is close enough to the other file (if not, adjust quality a step or two so it matches better).
7. Close your original (save it as tiff/png/psd so you have it for later).

You now have two images, with the same metadata, the same colour profile, and the same file size. The only variation is how much quality has been lost.

8. Place the two JPEG-images on top of each other.
9. Zoom to 200 %.
10. Turn the top image on/off and see what image looks the best. Note if surfaces have lost detail, edges become jagged, colors bleeding...

What looks the best? You can also compare them more objectively with the original using the "difference" blend mode, and a Curves/Levels-layer on top to enhance the difference (see my attachement).
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (7.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png 2.png (10.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (85.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg difference.jpg (96.7 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

removed post

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-22-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_wwwing View Post
i checked the images by overlaying them and changed the top Layer Mode to Subtract. i seen no differences.
That’s not the best way to do this and its quite possible you will visually see no difference where there is a difference in levels of which you can exactly see following this technique instead*

*http://digitaldog.net/files/Apply_Image.pdf

Go to Image > Apply Image.
Set whichever image isn't listed as the target as the source. Set the Channel as RGB. Set the Blending to Subtract, with an Opacity of 100, a Scale of 1, and an Offset of 128.
If the images were truly 100% identical, every pixel in the image would be a solid level 128 gray. Pixels that aren't level 128 gray are different by the amount they depart from 128 gray. You can use Levels to exaggerate the difference, which makes patterns easier to see. Just move the sliders on either side to the center as far as you can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Angry Re: PSCS5 Smart Sharpening for Web

What are you going on about now? You didn't even seriously think through or try the test I suggested. If only image quality matters, save it as a PNG (you could even keep it 16-bit if you want).

If we are talking about images to be displayed on web pages then file size does matter (load times and bandwidth matter online). If we stopped talking about optimizing images for web at some point, please say so.

My comparison compared the image quality vs. file size for JPEG using save-for-web vs. save as at realistic settings. "Save for web" will always create smaller file sizes for the same image quality (or higher quality at the same file size). You can look up more details online if you want.

For your pleasure I have conducted another test that uses the maximum quality settings:
* Quality set to "100 %" and "12".
* Profile embedded
* All useless metadata kept
* Images look identical to the naked eye
* Difference blend mode reveals very slight differences (se attachement)
* Save for web size: 52 KB
* Save As size: 75 KB

The reason for the size difference is not that save for web has thrown out more of the image quality, Save for web will also remove some minor things like thumbnails and any paths (not needed on a webpage). I believe the algorithm Adobe uses in Save for Web might be a newer and improved version from the one used in Save As, but I'm not sure of this.

--

So when would I use "Save as"?
* For high resolution images (Save for web is intended for low resolution images).
* When file size doesn't matter much and I'm going to save it at 100% anyway, and I want to save it quickly (saves me like one second).
(Examples: Digital photos in high resolution to be shared in close to original quality)

When would I use "Save for web"?
* Whenever my image is low resolution
* If file size matters
(Examples: Images prepared for use on web pages, e-mail attachments or MS Office applications)

--
Note:
The comparison method shown by andrewrodney also works well for comparing two images. Personally I prefer difference blend mode as it is quicker (and easier to remember). I have used Levels to better illustrate the differences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (96.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Chain; 09-22-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarifications
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching