RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fashion Sharpening

Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Fashion Sharpening

a little feed back would be nice.
i don't shoot High Fashion so i downloaded a few head shots from MM to work with.

try this on your images and let me know what you - like of don't like - COMPARED to Frequency Sharpening.

watch the stray hairs and the eyelashes. pull back the Opacity to remove the haloing.

PS CS5 > Copy Layer mode Darken Color > Smart Sharpen > Lens Blur > check - More Accurate

different setting are needed for different cameras and lens. but try these settings to start with on one image.

90% , 1.0
90% , 2.0
90% , 3.0

after you adjust the Opacity on the Darken Color layer. copy that Layer and change the mode to Lighten Color. Set the Opacity to - half - the setting on the Darken Color layer. for the 3.0 you may need to cut back even more.

after stamping the image and deleting the 2 Color mode layers. run a Mask to sharpen where needed.

if some one wants to post this on MM - go right ahead. more feedback the better.

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 10-04-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Re: Fashion Sharpening

Compared to high frequency sharpening (based on Gaussian blur) using a clipped curves adj. layer with an S-curve that will add more shadows than highlights and the same radius that I'd use for the Smart Sharpen, the results of the high frequency sharpening seem better to me because they're less noisy/grainy (although the differences are quite minimal actually).

You btw. know that you can fade the light halos inside the advanced features of Smart Sharpen without having to use two layers and that way have an easier way to limit the sharpening to the luminosity?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Compared to high frequency sharpening (based on Gaussian blur) using a clipped curves adj. layer with an S-curve that will add more shadows than highlights and the same radius that I'd use for the Smart Sharpen, the results of the high frequency sharpening seem better to me because they're less noisy/grainy (although the differences are quite minimal actually).

You btw. know that you can fade the light halos inside the advanced features of Smart Sharpen without having to use two layers and that way have an easier way to limit the sharpening to the luminosity?
my thinking was i'd have more control using the layers. then again maybe using a Smart Object to rework the Smart Sharpening would be the way to go.

thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 09-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM

working at .4 at 100% looks better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM

added tip - USE an Inverted Luminous Mask on your Lighter Color Layer.

just a few notes:

a. using the Smart Sharpen above gives more control over Blond hairs clumping and Black hairs clumping.

b. Smart Sharpening does not give as must contrast as frequency sharpening. so there is less change to colors. by that i mean each light hair color keeps better color near the Hair highlights.
yes you could Mask. but with Smart Sharpening (Lighter Color Layer) you control ALL the highlight areas at once.

c. adding a frequency sharpening on top of the 2 Smart Sharpening Layers. High Pass set to .3 improves the sharpness. but it does need to be masked to show only eyelashes, eye brows and hair roots.
next go back to Darker Color Layer and Burn the eyelashes, eye brows and hair roots.

if printing close ups or over 20x30's. i believe you need to try these steps.

Last edited by ME_wwwing; 11-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Can you post some picture that be used by your technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_wwwing View Post
she forgot 2 things in the video. 1. change Smart Sharpening to Lens Blur. she has it set to Gaussian Blur. 2. make sure you check the box that says More Accurate.

i've been play with Smart Sharpening here
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...harpening.html

if you want more control over the Smart Blur - use 2 layers. change one Mode to Lighten and the other to Darken adjust the opacity of each layer.
using these two Modes gives you more control over Blurring.
I had just read your post in here can you explain for me why have to
1. change Smart Sharpening to Lens Blur. not set to Gaussian Blur.
2. the box that says More Accurate.
when used Smart Sharpening for sharpening?
If I used Gaussian Blur and don't check More Accurate, what will happenning?

Last edited by adtechniques; 11-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM

You can also, use spatial split frequencies, depending on the image use a low blur between 0.8 to 1.5 and clip a Brightness and Contrast layer to the High Frequency layer, and adjust to taste...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM

>Can you post some picture that be used by your technique?

i don't have my own images. so i can't post them to show.
just try what i've wrote on a Blond Head shot and you can see what i mean by clumping. the hairs blend together in the highlights caused by the Lighting
and like i said it would show up ONLY if you print Large.you can see the difference at 100% on your screen.

>I had just read your post in here can you explain for me why have to
1. change Smart Sharpening to Lens Blur. not set to Gaussian Blur.

i read Gaussian Blur setting is the old USM. whats new is the Lens Blur, Motion Blur and the More Accurate Box. unless some knows the real facts. please post the link. i didn't keep the URL. but it did sit me out hunting for the best i could do with Smart Sharpening>Lens Blur.

2. the box that says More Accurate.

my guess it's an auto extra fine tuning.

when used Smart Sharpening for sharpening?
If I used Gaussian Blur and don't check More Accurate, what will happenning?[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
You can also, use spatial split frequencies, depending on the image use a low blur between 0.8 to 1.5 and clip a Brightness and Contrast layer to the High Frequency layer, and adjust to taste...
i've been running the Smart Sharpening against all the High Pass Sucks and Sharpening Actions found on MM.

when i add a clipping Mask - Curves, Levels. (didn't try B/Contrast). it just does to much on the HighLights and Shadows at the same time.
like i said - if you print large. you might want to check out whats posted here.
the Value setting are going to change from camera and lens used.

the problem i've got is i can put it into a work flow action. Stamping freezes editing. its got to be a 2nd action.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching