RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM

Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled upon the work of this guy over on Flickr. Some of you may have seen his work in the past as he does have a bit of cult following.

Anyway, he's started a new series of night time photography. From what I can gather he relies on ambient light only, but does acknowoldge that a lot of post processing is carried out to pump the dynamic range.

Anyway, here is his latest shot, and I'd be really interested in any ideas as to how to acheive something similar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitp...n/photostream/

Despite being at night, the images are very clean, with hardly any noise and still a lot of visible colour. I'm thinking hand blending of multiple exposures. Also, they appear quite contrasty, so I'm thinking softlight or multiply blend modes. Probably a fair bit of dodging too.

Would love to hear your thoughts

They also have a nice contrast to them
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Patron

Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

It looks to me like he has made a classic HDR image of the background, shot the person in that same bg or separately and combined in PS. If you are not familiar with High Dynamic Range Imaging, it involves taking a set of exposure bracketed images and using HDR software like Photomatix or a dozen similar products to merge and tonemap.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
It looks to me like he has made a classic HDR image of the background, shot the person in that same bg or separately and combined in PS. If you are not familiar with High Dynamic Range Imaging, it involves taking a set of exposure bracketed images and using HDR software like Photomatix or a dozen similar products to merge and tonemap.
Regards, Murray
Thanks. I am very familiar with HDR but, for some reason I didn't think it was this technique. Normally when shooting HDR at night you get a lot of noise, although I suppose he could be using neat image or something.

It seems better quality than hdr, if you know what i mean!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Patron

If you have a good camera and use a tripod, turn auto ISO off and lock the iso to it's lowest setting (like 100), you will have minimal noise. I shoot a lot of these type of night shots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisth View Post
I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
The blending can be done just with the layers in Photoshop but that is still HDR. Moreover using dedicated HDR s/w is a lot faster and can produce more effective results than manual layering...and, the results do not need to be unrealistic or overbaked as many tend to do with HDR imaging.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the info. i agree, much of the look is down to the vision, which Benoit has nailed.

Can you share anything on the post processing, either on the night time images or his portrait work?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Can you please reveal how did he light the undernight shots?
http://www.behance.net/gallery/UnderNight/838617
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post
Can you please reveal how did he light the undernight shots?
http://www.behance.net/gallery/UnderNight/838617
Santoro, this has already been discussed in an earlier post. It is a result of multiple exposures which are then blended together in photoshop to expand the dynamic range of an image. This technique is slightly different to tonemapping as it tends to provide more photo realistic results. The downside is that it can be time consuming.

@dennisth, would you mind sharing some of the post processing methods?

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Santoro, this has already been discussed in an earlier post. It is a result of multiple exposures which are then blended together in photoshop to expand the dynamic range of an image. This technique is slightly different to tonemapping as it tends to provide more photo realistic results. The downside is that it can be time consuming.

@dennisth, would you mind sharing some of the post processing methods?

Many thanks,
I read this post, I was interested only in the lighting setups, not in postprocessing... or it was only natural light? If so, I'm impressed...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching