RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM
longside1 longside1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled upon the work of this guy over on Flickr. Some of you may have seen his work in the past as he does have a bit of cult following.

Anyway, he's started a new series of night time photography. From what I can gather he relies on ambient light only, but does acknowoldge that a lot of post processing is carried out to pump the dynamic range.

Anyway, here is his latest shot, and I'd be really interested in any ideas as to how to acheive something similar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitp...n/photostream/

Despite being at night, the images are very clean, with hardly any noise and still a lot of visible colour. I'm thinking hand blending of multiple exposures. Also, they appear quite contrasty, so I'm thinking softlight or multiply blend modes. Probably a fair bit of dodging too.

Would love to hear your thoughts


They also have a nice contrast to them
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
mistermonday's Avatar
mistermonday mistermonday is offline
Moderator
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,028
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

It looks to me like he has made a classic HDR image of the background, shot the person in that same bg or separately and combined in PS. If you are not familiar with High Dynamic Range Imaging, it involves taking a set of exposure bracketed images and using HDR software like Photomatix or a dozen similar products to merge and tonemap.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
longside1 longside1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
It looks to me like he has made a classic HDR image of the background, shot the person in that same bg or separately and combined in PS. If you are not familiar with High Dynamic Range Imaging, it involves taking a set of exposure bracketed images and using HDR software like Photomatix or a dozen similar products to merge and tonemap.
Regards, Murray
Thanks. I am very familiar with HDR but, for some reason I didn't think it was this technique. Normally when shooting HDR at night you get a lot of noise, although I suppose he could be using neat image or something.

It seems better quality than hdr, if you know what i mean!
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
mistermonday's Avatar
mistermonday mistermonday is offline
Moderator
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,028
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

If you have a good camera and use a tripod, turn auto ISO off and lock the iso to it's lowest setting (like 100), you will have minimal noise. I shoot a lot of these type of night shots.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
dennisth dennisth is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
mistermonday's Avatar
mistermonday mistermonday is offline
Moderator
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,028
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisth View Post
I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
The blending can be done just with the layers in Photoshop but that is still HDR. Moreover using dedicated HDR s/w is a lot faster and can produce more effective results than manual layering...and, the results do not need to be unrealistic or overbaked as many tend to do with HDR imaging.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
longside1 longside1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisth View Post
I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
Hey, thanks for the info. i agree, much of the look is down to the vision, which Benoit has nailed.

Can you share anything on the post processing, either on the night time images or his portrait work?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
santoro80 santoro80 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 221
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisth View Post
I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Benoit P a few weeks ago. We also did a nightshot with me modelling. To be honest: He just makes a few exposures. No HDR, just exposure blending. Exposures for the shadows/highlights and the person. Then with his creative vision he creates this great picture with just the simplest photoshop tools. So it's easy, but not if you don't set a goal for yourself how you want it to look
Can you please reveal how did he light the undernight shots?
http://www.behance.net/gallery/UnderNight/838617
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 AM
longside1 longside1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post
Can you please reveal how did he light the undernight shots?
http://www.behance.net/gallery/UnderNight/838617
Santoro, this has already been discussed in an earlier post. It is a result of multiple exposures which are then blended together in photoshop to expand the dynamic range of an image. This technique is slightly different to tonemapping as it tends to provide more photo realistic results. The downside is that it can be time consuming.

@dennisth, would you mind sharing some of the post processing methods?

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
santoro80 santoro80 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 221
Re: Interesting Night Time Imagery - How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Santoro, this has already been discussed in an earlier post. It is a result of multiple exposures which are then blended together in photoshop to expand the dynamic range of an image. This technique is slightly different to tonemapping as it tends to provide more photo realistic results. The downside is that it can be time consuming.

@dennisth, would you mind sharing some of the post processing methods?

Many thanks,
I read this post, I was interested only in the lighting setups, not in postprocessing... or it was only natural light? If so, I'm impressed...
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Product retouch time lapse Phaeton Photo Retouching 2 02-19-2011 01:37 PM
Hong Kong harbor - morning to night DannyRaphael Photography 3 01-25-2011 09:46 PM
Backup -Time Machine for windows? TopiToo Software 2 12-12-2010 10:08 AM
Is it possible to get a part time retouching job? Delicate_Media Work/Jobs 3 11-30-2010 01:06 PM
New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc Doug Nelson Salon 325 04-23-2007 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved