Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Homogenize GOLD color on many pictures

Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Homogenize GOLD color on many pictures

I have to homogenize a GOLD tint on jewelry products between differents shootings. I must get the very same tint on a big photos series. Every pictures have a good base calibration, but however all are looking a bit diferent.
I use all photoshop tools to get what i want, but probably can i serialize or automate it further?
I don't use LIGHTROOM or CAMERA RAW in general. Should i use it?
Does someone have an idea?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Re: Homogenize GOLD color on many pictures

Hi Dod

While ACR and Lightroom using Raw files are great software and a good approach, I doubt they would solve the root cause of your issues. To me IMHO is sounds like a workflow issue in trying to obtain a common tint.

It would be helpful if you posted a couple images as examples and also your present workflow to add the tint. Both of these items would help forum members help you with some suggested solutions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM

So you need a bunch of photos to represent the same color of gold?

Just a thought.. but what I would do is.. find a highlight value and shadow value with some detail, check your info panel for the proper RGB values (or LAB/HSB/ whatever) and write them down... then try to find similar black point/white point values in each photo.. Use Curves adjustment layer and double click the white point and/or black point eyedroppers.. and set what values you had in the original image..
This should bring you very close, no?

Does anyone disagree or agree? I'd be interested in knowing.. Theoretically it sounds solid to me.. but I've never had to perform such a task.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 AM

im not the most experienced and sorry for saying something that is not very helpful but I try to do things like that in camera. make a custom white balance and use the same light setup in the same room if it is possible and you wont have to deal with that.
Since whats done is done i like Deit39's suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 AM

I have done something similar to adjust skin tones, (CMYK adjustments using curves). I am sure it can be adapted for anything

Here is a link
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM

I agree on can sample the RGB colors of the gold you like (write them down) ...then you can use a curves adjustment layer... clipped to the bad gold image...then you will be able to manipulate the curve to match the bad colors upto the good numbers. You wont only use the RGB (luminance) parts of the curves... but you will also need to use the individual channel pull down ( red, green and blue channels) and select the red and blue curves as well to create a good gold color correction.

Since you are using an adjustment layer will come with a white layer mask attached atuomatically...change that mask to a black mask by using control or command "I" for invert. Now you will see your gold correction color cast throughout the entire image go away. Now, paint on the mask with a small, low opacity 12%, white will now be able to paint in the gold correction exactly where you want it...and as strong as you want it...and nowhere else. This allows you good precision and perfect color matching.

After you paint on the correction you can always go back and precisely change the curves to even better match the color if the numbers were off in any way...and use the opacity slider on the layer to control how much color is used.

After a short while you may be able to create a general gold color correction curve that is right in the ballpark. Turn on the action making capability in Photoshop...then you can reduce this curve to just one keystroke for extra fast application...or even apply it as a batch to a whole bunch of similar images. A curve is non destructive... so it wont destroy the actual jewelery pixels in the original your results will be clean, clear and transparent.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Good topic and I will check in coming days your advice. As my first shoots and post-production isn't as good as I would like (you can see some thumbnails here -
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching