RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need Any Photos Retouched?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Red face Need Any Photos Retouched?

Here are some examples of my work.
Attached Images
File Type: png Before and After 1 Smaller.png (94.5 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Re: Need Any Photos Retouched?

hey! yes.

first off, i want to state that my intentions are NOT illegal but the act of doing this might be. well, illegal.. i can't think of any law i might be breaking to be honest, since I feel like these images are public?

anyway

can you please PLEASE help me remove the watermark from these photos?? if this is NOT something i should be posted, i will quickly exeunt. if it is something worth looking at, i would love to see the finished product/hang the images in my room. i just LOVE these pictures and i can't justify spending $60-$70 for a small print when its freely available online, just with a simple and annoying watermark.

note: you'll have to click the 'magnifying glass' in the bottom right of the window to view the bigger image.

image 1: http://www.allposters.ca/-sp/Uniform..._i3593214_.htm
image 2: http://www.allposters.ca/-sp/Wide-Ra..._i3784725_.htm

thanks, anything (info or otherwise) you can provide would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Patron

I think the act of doing what you are asking is potentially illegal.

I am certainly no expert on copyright law but if I understand correctly the original photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt would hold the copyright to these originally although that right may have passed to Life magazine. Allposters.ca would seem to have the rights to produce these images - maybe licenced.

I do not think these images are in the public domain AFAIK copyright generally expires 50-70 years after the work was created (but different countries may apply different rules). If they are in the public domain then you may find them on the net!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 PM

forget being illegal... it is wrong.

but hey who am I to judge... I can remove those watermarks for.... say $60-70 each ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
I think the act of doing what you are asking is potentially illegal.

I am certainly no expert on copyright law but if I understand correctly the original photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt would hold the copyright to these originally although that right may have passed to Life magazine. Allposters.ca would seem to have the rights to produce these images - maybe licenced.

I do not think these images are in the public domain AFAIK copyright generally expires 50-70 years after the work was created (but different countries may apply different rules). If they are in the public domain then you may find them on the net!
yes they are available freely on the net. However, allposters has a nicer sized image that would fit the two frames I have pretty perfectly =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 AM

I can find bombs and drugs and little girls from Vietnam on sale on the Internet: Does it mean that I can buy them and use them?

I don't think so...
In any country it's illegal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM

I believe most, if not all, of Eisenstaedt's pictures are copyright Time Life/Getty images. I assume the website mentioned prints these under license. Downloading them and removing the watermark is almost certainly and infringement of copyright.

On a more general point, images made by artists (such as the regular posters on this site) can frequently be found on the internet but the creators of those images do deserve to receive fair payment when their images are used. Downloading images and using them for anything other than educational or research purposes is in effect stealing from the artist.

I apologise if this comes over as a bit strong but without copyright law there would be alot more starving artists than there are already.

I think copyright in the US usually lasts 95 years from publication.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM

To be honest I can do that...To be legal, I shall not...If they are free roaming pictures then there must be SOMEwhere that they can be found larger...But if a site is selling them that means it is THEIR picture and that it is not supposed to be roaming around.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching