RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to Achieve this Vintage Hipster Look

Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM

How to Achieve this Vintage Hipster Look

I hate to keep popping up with these "How to Achieve" threads but there are just too many helpful people. I'm sorry if this gets annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAUc8...eature=related

Anyway, I've seen recently a lot of pictures pop up with this very glamourous vintage/retro look to it but I cannot seem to get it right with my own pictures. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the POST or the actual shots.

Is there something obvious about the lighting? The pictures all look a bit over exposed and washed out. Any advice?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Patron

Re: How to Achieve this Vintage Hipster Look

Ohh, when I see images like this I just want to correct colour balance and exposure

Easy way to get this is to use flash on camera (maybe a P&S) set exposure to overexpose. Then in PS just mess up your image by playing with curves layer to change contrast and colour balance
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM

I totally understand that these aren't the most FANTASTIC pictures but I really dig them!

Anyways I don't have a P&S, I have a Canon T2i and a Canon 5D. I tried the flash on them and it didn't really turn out like that at all... The overexposure was not even and some parts of the skin were overkill and some weren't. Are there some settings I should set first?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Patron

The flash on the image posted looks to be slightly above the lens axis. So you should be able to replicate by using a flashgun on the hotshoe of your Canon which I asssume is directly in line with the lens.

TBH it is not really necessary to overexpose - you can accomplish this in post. Attached is an image taken with a point and shoot. Notice the shadow distance. The fact that the shadow appears to be above is due to the low taking angle - the camera built in flash is very close to the lens in the vertical and slightly offset in the horizontal.

The attached is not intended to be a definitive guide to curves but emulates a cross process look. This will need to be tailored to meet your needs for contrast etc - note the reverse S curve for blue channel. Perhaps try something similar as a starting point for your own images?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cross.jpg (91.5 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM

I totally understand that these aren't the most FANTASTIC pictures but I really dig them!

Anyways I don't have a P&S, I have a Canon T2i and a Canon 5D. I tried the flash on them and it didn't really turn out like that at all... The overexposure was not even and some parts of the skin were overkill and some weren't. Are there some settings I should set first?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

I see what you mean. There is one thing I noticed though, is that your example, the lighting seems to be very harsh, where in my example the lighting seems to be a bit softer? (I don't know if I'm using the right words) Could this be because yours was taken at night time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 AM

The flash is just more direct and harsh on his picture (because most p & s don't allow you to modulate the intensity of the flash, so nightime > needs lots of light) and more diffuse on yours (low intensity/maybe a diffuser given the professional feel).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Patron

The contrast difference between the 2 images IMO is minimal and I believe can be accounted for in particular from the difference in background my example having a dark background and yours being very close to a light wall. For all I know the original posted image could have been taken in pitch black relying on the camera flash only!
So if you want to mimic this look you should shoot against a light background.

Both images have been taken with on camera flash fairly close to the lens axis. Look at your image and see how small the shadows are under the arms and the longer shadows where the foot is seperated from the background. My image exhibits similar shadow distances but as it was a close up does not reveal long distance shadows other than the glass.

Remember also that harshness (contrast) of an image can also be adjusted in curves if required

There is nothing that I can see in this image that suggests a diffuse flash and I would suggest that this not taken by a pro - other than a pro who wanted it to look like an amateur snapshot

Why not post an image you are having problems with and see if we can suggest a particular fix?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 AM

You're right that there's no diffuser (looking at the shadow of the feet), just more distant and less intense. As for this taken by an amateur, I think you're wrong. It's just the way many pro photographers works these day, under the way of juergen teller or terry richardson, for the most famous. Given the girl, the pose and the clothes, I would bet for a fashion shoot (not the best one, but hey).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Do you think it was the actual FLASH on the camera, like the built-in one one my canon 5d, or an external one I'd put on the hot shoe?

Also, I don't know if this is a professional photographer taken the photo but this type of shot is very popular among clothing sites now, PROBABLY because of the amateur feel.

The example I showed is actually a picture for a clothing brand called Wildfox Couture. And it seems all there photos have that lomo/vintage amateur look.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching