RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Achieving Similar Colorization of Mr. Olaf's

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Exclamation Achieving Similar Colorization of Mr. Olaf's

How do you do everyone. Thank you for your time and I am humbled before your retouching expertise.

This post is oriented towards retouchers whom use PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO in their workflow.

My question is: what is the "proper" and right way to go from the following (properly white balanced image) to looking like the attached photograph from Mr. Olaf's "PORTRAIT" series.

I gave my attempt (left photo).

http://ronaldnztan.com/temp/TAN_C1PR...shot_James.jpg

My inspiration image: http://www.erwinolaf.com/#/commerce/...an_cruijff435/

I could see from the enlargement that Mr. Olaf utilized three lights as seen in the catchlights. I only used a single, large Photek Softlighter II to lit the image.

I am interested in the COLOR TONING. Will you please offer and share tips on how best to accomplish my goal in the RAW software stage?

I am fairly proficient with Photoshop as evidenced from my website, I was just wondering if there are more "proper" way to skin the cat, so to speak.

Thank you for your time.

With sincerity,

Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Re: Achieving Similar Colorization of Mr. Olaf's

From just a quick look I can say that his toning is selective. Your shadows are too strong in colour compare to Olaf. Also you have quiet strong colour shift in the skin. His skin is richer.And mostly without a cast. You also brought a strong cast to the clothing. Too strong. Take a look at it : http://www.youtube.com/user/mpretouch
Good study
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM

nothing to say about retouching... I just want to express my appreciation for the photek softlighter... god i love that modifier!!!

I really miss using it since I can't find it anywhere here in the UK!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM

@P_fuzz: I love it! I have seen many instances where my idol, Ms. Leibovitz used the Softlighter 2 in her behind the scenes look at her photoshoots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the tips and tricks.

I managed to finish the image, but decided to gave it my own color treatment.

Link to image from my blog: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....eJvCe%2B1vg%3D

I am proficient in Photoshop to know that the BEST and PROPER way is to use masking layers and all that good stuff, but I wanted to know if any retouchers here—whom primarily use PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO—could give me tips on how I could achieve the look at RAW so that I could save it as a preset when I shoot tethered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
From just a quick look I can say that his toning is selective. Your shadows are too strong in colour compare to Olaf. Also you have quiet strong colour shift in the skin. His skin is richer.And mostly without a cast. You also brought a strong cast to the clothing. Too strong. Take a look at it : http://www.youtube.com/user/mpretouch
Good study
I have a "prototype" or testing version where I had James hold the 24-array of color checker card. I used CaptureONE's color selector and picked the "average Caucasian skin tone" and gave it the colorization close to Mr. Olaf's.

Retoucher friend of mine told me that my previous version (not the one linked) was "too inspired." She was telling me that in addition to the rough draft I was working on with the tonal bleeding, she was telling me that I was a copycat and rather encouraging me to have my own "look" that she knows me for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM

I never used any of this programs you mentioned just from experienced of soem automatic features on CS5 I can tell you that programs not always think the way human thing and can produce over exaggerated or generalised results. I think your version on madelmayhem is much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
I never used any of this programs you mentioned just from experienced of soem automatic features on CS5 I can tell you that programs not always think the way human thing and can produce over exaggerated or generalised results. I think your version on madelmayhem is much better.
You mean this one? This is my finalized image:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos...f20a34475e.jpg

I know this colorization is nowhere near that of my intended target, but I fancy it.

Have we ran into each other on ModelMayhem? If so, drop by and say hi! You know I am super friendly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Yes , this one Ron. I like colourisation of this one. If I were to retouch this one I would knock down the ,,lights,, on his face through the luminosity mask for it. Also I would try to use midtones luminosity mask just don't know which one yet. In my eyes this image has potential.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Hey Ron,

Looking at your CaptureOne screenshot, I have to say, subjectively, I like the original (cool cast) one better - it's unexpected. You used just one light as opposed to Olaf's key light, and two fills - which allows him to achieve more gradual tones from highlight - midtone - shadow, giving him more leverage to achieve a 'hyper-real' look in post-production. What you have going in your image is edge. The deep shadows almost warrant a cooler tone...When you color balance 'correctly' it renders the shot too generic in my humble opinion. Going with that 'mood', his expression - could it have been a touch more somber - could have tied the portrait (considering the clothes) together nicely.

Again, just my two cents. I think the best version is the 'original'.

*afterthought* his eyes also seem to be sharper with 'more life' in the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM

@Joel, I want to see your modeling portfolio. ;-)

Thanks for your input. The C1PRO screenshot on the left was my attempt at mimicking the colorization of Mr. Olaf's. After a few messages with retoucher, Ms. Tafferal (whom is a good friend of mine), she used the word, "too inspired" to tell me that I shouldn't be a copycat.

So, I just went with the version I have now: http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos...03bedded4f.jpg

This one, Nebulator suggested, I tune down the highlights and in this version, I did.

In an alternate version, I could isolate the BG via the pen tool (which I have already) and add more blue to the shadows only via the Color Balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
Hey Ron,

Looking at your CaptureOne screenshot, I have to say, subjectively, I like the original (cool cast) one better - it's unexpected. You used just one light as opposed to Olaf's key light, and two fills - which allows him to achieve more gradual tones from highlight - midtone - shadow, giving him more leverage to achieve a 'hyper-real' look in post-production. What you have going in your image is edge. The deep shadows almost warrant a cooler tone...When you color balance 'correctly' it renders the shot too generic in my humble opinion. Going with that 'mood', his expression - could it have been a touch more somber - could have tied the portrait (considering the clothes) together nicely.

Again, just my two cents. I think the best version is the 'original'.

*afterthought* his eyes also seem to be sharper with 'more life' in the original.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching