RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help me achieve those tones

Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Smile Help me achieve those tones

Hi guys, please help me turn this image

http://www.prophotonut.com/wp-conten...9/08/1-4_3.jpg

into

http://www.prophotonut.com/wp-conten...9/08/1-4_2.jpg

If you have a look in
http://www.prophotonut.com/2009/08/1...nd-techniques/

you will see that those pictures are taken with different exposure setting & slightly different angle.

I couldn't replicate the tone of the 2nd image.
I notice that it has a lot of highlight & some creamy, pinky colors blended into each other. I extracted dominant colors with color palette tool, and tried several blend ways with no success. I'm not very good with color, so my analysis could be wrong.

Another similar tone I would like to know
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamour0...l-1347049@N23/

Any help would be really appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Re: Help me achive those tones

I'd go for a reverse vignetting, some color fill in screen mode, and the shadow/highlight command, each to modulate with a mask. You can tell the contrast has been switched locally in several areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Patron

Are you Damien Lovegrove by any chance? If not why are you posting his copyrighted images and asking for help in turning one that was shot for dramatic effect to one that was shot for a softer look? - the guy offers training courses based in the UK if you are interested.

If you are looking to achieve these effects in your own images then please post one of your originals and quote the look you are after and I am sure you will be offered plenty of help and advice
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Um, looking at the blog, he kind of spells it out: different exposure+ diffuse glow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropt View Post
I'd go for a reverse vignetting, some color fill in screen mode, and the shadow/highlight command, each to modulate with a mask. You can tell the contrast has been switched locally in several areas.
Thanks Dropt, what I'm after is the soft & creamy color, which I can't quite get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W
Are you Damien Lovegrove by any chance? If not why are you posting his copyrighted images and asking for help in turning one that was shot for dramatic effect to one that was shot for a softer look? - the guy offers training courses based in the UK if you are interested.

If you are looking to achieve these effects in your own images then please post one of your originals and quote the look you are after and I am sure you will be offered plenty of help and advice
@Tony: No, I'm not Damien. I'm South East Asian, so taking his course is kinda out of option. I post his image because it was shot in a similar condition with the shot I want to achieve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Patron

Re: Help me achieve those tones

cloude1080, I understand your desire to mimic another photographers look but my thoughts were that although providing a link to anothers work is acceptable to ask to alter an image taken by that photographer whatever the reason could possible be seen as copyright infringement.

As you have got your own image shot in similar conditions this would make a much better starting point and as I suggested if you post it here you will get help and advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloude1080 View Post
@Tony: No, I'm not Damien. I'm South East Asian, so taking his course is kinda out of option. I post his image because it was shot in a similar condition with the shot I want to achieve.
Hi Cloude,

I think Tony's point is that posting a url to a Flickr stream or website gallery of another photographer is ok, but just posting another photographer's image (or a url to it) with no easily apparent context is not ok.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
Hi Cloude,

I think Tony's point is that posting a url to a Flickr stream or website gallery of another photographer is ok, but just posting another photographer's image (or a url to it) with no easily apparent context is not ok.
Point taken, problem is I have no stock image in similar condition to his image.

I give a try anyway, my image, hack away

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzyai...in/photostream
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Patron

Ok just as a starting point as I am unsure where you want to take this image! Curve layer reduce contrast RGB overall and used a fairly agressive reverse S curve on the blue channel.

Is this anywhere near where you want to take it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crosscurve.jpg (93.3 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Ok just as a starting point as I am unsure where you want to take this image! Curve layer reduce contrast RGB overall and used a fairly agressive reverse S curve on the blue channel.

Is this anywhere near where you want to take it?
Hi Tony, it's close but not quite. The overall constrast is reduced, but I can't see the color and the warm/fuzzy/pinkiest feeling the original photo bring.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching